Zack and Ivy

{In the Carmen Brand Outerwear building}

   Zack lay on the couch, staring at the ACME pen. He reached out his hand, but couldn't bring himself to push the button.

   Ivy walked over and gave him a nudge. "C'mon, we've been staring at that pen for days. We've got to decide."

   "But what if Carmen comes back and needs us or something?" He rolled onto his back and stared at an upside-down Ivy. "Maybe we should call her."

   "She's got her own life now, Zack. We need to let her be."

   "I can't believe she's gone. We just got her back. And Shadowsan left too..." He trailed off with a sigh.

   Ivy put a hand on his shoulder. "They're not 'gone' gone. We can still call and text and probably even visit sometimes... later. They just need some time to figure out their lives."

   Zack sat up. "Why does everyone have to leave? Carmen; Shadowsan; Mom and Dad--"

   "That's different," Ivy said sharply. She didn't want to think about their parents right then. She swallowed and softened her tone. "Carm and Shadowsan are finding new paths. And it's time we did too."

   Zack stared at the pen. "Fine. Let's do it."

   Ivy carefully picked it up and pressed the button. It fell to the floor and a hologram shone out. The Chief.

   The tall, distinguished lady stared for a moment at the two impish redheads before her. She was only slightly surprised, but quickly recognized Carmen Sandiego's two... well, assistants was the nice way to put it.

   "Greetings, you two. Zack and Ivy, isn't it?"

   Ivy nodded and cleared her throat. "Um, Carmen left us the pen. We thought we could maybe, I don't know, help you catch the rest of the VILE operatives."

   "Yeah!" Zack said. "We helped Carm all the time."

   "I'm aware," Chief said. She stared at them thoughtfully. They were pretty young, but... If Carmen Sandiego was willing to use them, they must be alright. "Alright, I'm willing to give you two a trial run. A VILE operative has been spotted in Boston. I believe you're familiar with the town?"

   Zack's eyes grew wide. "How'd she know we're from theyah?" he whispered to Ivy. "That's wicked weihd. I think she's psychic!"

   Ivy rolled her eyes and turned back to the Chief. "Yeah, we're from Southie."

   "Then be there on the first flight. I already have agents on the ground. Agent Zari will meet you. She'll be your handler for now, which means whatever she says goes, understand?"

   "Yes, ma'am," the siblings said in unison.

   Once the Chief had retracted into her pen, Zack and Ivy did a high five and hip bump. "We're in!" Ivy said.

   "And going back to Boston!" Zack shouted.

   Ivy's smile faded and she sunk onto on a stool. "Zack, you remember why we left Boston to begin with?"

   Zack was already pulling celebration snacks from the fridge. "Cuz we met Carm, of course."

   "AND because Sharkhead Eddie threatened to break us like breadsticks if we didn't get him that money, remember?"

   "Oh..." Zack set his snacks on the counter. "I'd almost forgotten that."

   "Yeah, but I doubt Eddie has."

   Zack perched on the stool next to his sister. "That won't be a problem, right? I mean, we brought Lydia here without any trouble."

   Ivy shrugged. "Getting a car out is one thing. Hanging around trying to solve a case... I don't know."

   They sat silently. Finally Zack said, "We've already agreed to it. And we'll be with ACME, at least. Maybe they'll pay us enough we can start paying Eddie back."

   "Maybe. We'll just have to keep an eye out and watch our step." Ivy picked up her phone. "I'll have Player book us a flight."