The day after episode 9 (part 2)

A breeze blew past Jake and Hailey, causing Hailey's long teal hair to mix with Jake's. Although, Jake and Hailey's attention was too focussed on kissing each other to really notice or care.

"HEY! GET AWAY FROM MY SISTER!" came Zander's voice.

Jake and Hailey instantly broke the kiss and turned to see Zander staring them down, flanked by the rest of the music club—Luke, Milly and Sean.

"Yeah, you heard him!" shouted Milly, approaching the pair.

Zander and Milly were now face to face with Jake and Hailey. Afraid but not willing to back down, Jake reached out to hold Hailey's hand.

"Did I not slap you hard enough?" asked Milly, spitting on Jake's face.

"ENOUGH!" screamed Hailey, slapping Milly.

Milly instinctively placed a hand on her throbbing face, and her eyes widened. It was not like Hailey to resort to any kind of violence.

"And you..." said Hailey turning to Zander. "If that's how you act, then I don't want to be your sister anymore. You're just like your dad!"

Tears came to Zander's eyes, Hailey knew that was a sensitive topic. There was no need to slap Zander, as the words hurt more than a slap in the face ever could.

"This all started because of you, Jake," came Luke's voice as his face darkened. "I've warned you, If you ever hurt Zander, then you'll be dealing with me after," he threatened as he took out a knife.

"Luke, NO!" shouted Sean, pulling Luke back. "Let's go," said Sean in a stern voice, leading the club members away from Jake and Hailey.

...

"I'm so sorry, Hailey," said Jake. "I know how much the club means to you."

Hailey shook her head. "I should be the one apologising. I never knew that they treated you like that, Jake. I thought they were my family, but they're no less toxic than your friends."

"Still, don't you want to compete in the competition with them?"

"We can still compete, Jake. We'll do a duet. Just you and me."

"Yeah, let's sing together!" replied Jake.

"Um, Jake? Do you think I could stay at your house tonight? I don't really want to face Zander tonight."

"Of course!" smiled Jake.

...

Jake had math last period and had to stay back 5 minutes after class to explain to the teacher why he hadn't completed his homework. Once he finally got out, he rushed to his locker, where he found Hailey waiting for him. A smile spread over his face upon seeing her.

"Hey Jake," greeted Hailey warmly.

"H-hey Hailey," replied Jake, wondering why he was suddenly stuttering around Hailey. "Ready to walk home together?" he asked Hailey.

"Mmhmm," agreed Hailey, reaching over to hold Jake's hand.

The pair walked together to Jake's house like that, neither one wanting to let go of the other's hand.

They eventually released hands upon arrival at Jake's house so that he could open the door. Once inside, Jake's mom spotted them.

"Hi Jake. Who's your friend? You should have let me know that we have a visitor."

"This is Hailey," Jake replied.

"Oh, the girl in the music club that you keep talking about?"

"Mom!"

"Okay. Will you be staying for dinner Hailey?" asked Jake's mom.

"Um, if that would be okay with you," Hailey replied, a bit annoyed that Jake hadn't thought to tell his mom that she was staying over. She looked to Jake, trying to give him the hint.

"Mom, sorry I forgot to ask. But would it be okay if Hailey stays the night? She doesn't really feel comfortable going home today."

"I think that should be okay, so long as it's fine with her parents."

Jake's mom then turned to Hailey. "Sorry, I wish Jake had told me sooner so that I could have prepared. I'd offer you the guest room, but it's kind of a mess at the moment. Would you feel comfortable staying in Jake's room?"

"That would be fine," replied Hailey, trying to hide her excitement.

After dinner, Hailey and Jake headed up to Jake's room. Jake's mom had put down a sleeping mat with some blankets for Hailey.

"Uh, it was nice of your mom to set this up for me, but do you think we could..."

"... share?" asked Jake, completing Hailey's sentence.

Jake sat down on the edge of his bed and patted a spot for Hailey to come over and sit with him. The two sat squished up close to each other and started cuddling.

Soon Jake was lying on top of Hailey and staring into her eyes. He leaned in to kiss her, but was interrupted by the ringing of Hailey's phone.

"I should probably get that," said Hailey as Jake got off her so that she could reach for her phone.

"Hi," said Hailey.

"Hey Hailey, It's Zander. I just want to apologise for the way we treated you and Jake earlier today. Also, I've talked to Luke, and he has agreed to get counselling. It's up to you whether you want to stay in the club or not, but I hope that I can regain you as my sister."

"I didn't mean that Zander, I was just really angry. I'm not sure about staying in the club, but I'll think about it. The one thing that you should know is that Jake and I come as a pair, and I'm not going to let anyone mistreat him anymore."

"Love you, sis."

"Love you too, bro," replied Hailey, ending the call.

Jake smiled at Hailey. "I'm really glad that you were able to forgive Zander. It's a really nice quality about you. In fact, I'm glad you're so forgiving, because let's face it, I mess up a lot."

"Jake!" Hailey scolded, slapping him with a pillow.

The two layed in bed laughing, gave each other a goodnight kiss, then cuddled until they fell asleep in each other's arms.