C4

" Carlisle, what's going on? Why's there a meeting being held tonight? Jasper and I were supposed to go hunting," Alice said as Carlisle stepped into the living room of his home where his family were gathered , obviously waiting on him.

He looked at her and sighed tiredly. Those who believed that Vampires don't get tired are out of their minds. Of course they do. They just don't get to sleep it off like humans do.

He let his eyes roam around the room and let out another sigh when his eyes landed on Bella Swan where she sat with Esme.

Edward was stood by Emmett and Rosalie near the couch where Bella and Esme were sat.

" Edward , what did I tell you about your human being here?," he asked, for the first time calling Bella something else than just Bella.

That made Edward growl, but the look in his father's eyes made him back down a little.

" I'll take her to my room," he said quietly," You can talk while I'm with her , I'll be able to hear you well enough."

" No! Take her home. She isn't family yet. You'll do well to remember that . What we discuss here has nothing, and I mean nothing, to do with her, understand?"

Edward nodded, feeling rather angry and humiliated at Carlisle's attitude towards him.

" Good. Now, Bella, please be so kind and get your things together. I'm sorry, but this meeting is for family members only."

Bella stood and looked conflicted as she gathered her school things and her jacket. " Um... Goodnight then," she muttered before letting Edward lead her away.

Carlisle watched them leave before moving to sit alone in a chair without giving the others a glance.

" So... we'll wait for Edward then?," Alice asked.

" Alice, Shush," Rosalie spoke up, giving the pixie Vampire a look that spoke volumes.

Carlisle ignored them as he stared down at his hands, his mind on Lyle, that he'd quickly checked upon before he left. That's how Edward beat him to the house. Thinking of Edward made him want to break something. To deliberately disobey his request for Bella being absent at the meeting....

He sighed again, pinching the bridge of his nose as a sign of frustration and anger, that because of Edward's blatant disregard to his authority.

" Carlisle, what's going on?," Esme asked gently, coming to sit on the armrest of the chair. "Did Edward do something that we don't know about? Or is it about that boy who looks like you?"

He remained silent, not even feeling guilty for not saying a word to her.

He only sat there staring at the soft carpet under his feet, seeing the dust particles and a few ants trying to carry what looked like sugar grains crawling all over the carpet. Bella was the only human around to have been able to leave sugar for the ants. The girl could be a real slob sometimes. He didn't like that. He loved cleanliness. Working in a hospital he'd learnt that uncleanliness could cause a serious situation between life and death.

" Carlisle, please? Talk to me. I want to know what is going on," she pleaded.

He shook his head and stood walking over to the window so that he can watch the driveway for Edward's return.

Esme threw her arms up in the air and went to the kitchen to clean up where Edward and Bella had made coffee earlier.

She was unhappy about her husband's attitude. She didn't understand what was going on. Years ago she'd divorced him and a year later she'd come back because she'd been so comfortable in their relationship and wanted that comfort back.