Chapter 31: Graduation

Slipping on a simple black dress I begin to straighten my hair. Graduation is in an hour. My friends and I spent the whole school day reminiscing about all our memories at school and all memories together. We didn't have to do any work in class so we pretty much played games, watched movies, played sports a couple times and talked.

After straightening my hair I just do a little touch with makeup, don't need much. My face is clear and is glowing thanks to my pregnancy. I thought the 'pregnancy glow' was bullshit, but I was wrong. I just do my eyebrows and add mascara and clear gloss. Getting my favourite perfume I leave a few spritz here and there.

"You ready?" Calls out Antonio.

"Yeah just have to put on my shoes!" I call back.

"I'll be in the car!"

I quickly put in simple black strap heels before grabbing my phone and making my way to the car.

——————————

Walking into the classroom where the principal told us to meet, I'm met with my friends.

"We've made it guys." Says Monse nostalgically.

"We've reached the end of our early youth." Says Jamal with a hand over his heart.

"Ready to go start our lives. Going to college, getting jobs, starting families..." Ruby trails off. "I'm going to miss you guys." He says with a sad smile.

"Oh Ruby, we'll still see each other on holidays. But no matter what we'll still have each other. We all have such a special bond. We're bonded for life." I say nudging his arm causing him to smile sheepishly.

"I really don't know what I would've done without you guys. Don't think I would've gotten through high school. I probably would've dropped out the second Oscar got out and joined the Santos for life." Starts Cesar. "So thank you all, for sticking by me and never giving up on me."

"Awww Cesar." I say pouting as we all move in to give him a group hug.

"Hey, don't get too sappy. We still have a few months before we're off." Says Monse with a small laugh as we all pull apart.

"Come on girl!" Smiles Jamal looking at me. "Go put your robe and cap on."

"Thanks for reminding me." I laugh and try everything in my power to not let my eyes start tearing up.

Walking over to one of the teachers she grabs a container and starts sifting through it looking for mine.

"Ah, here it is." She says handing me a neatly folded robe with a cap sitting on top.

"Thanks." I smile before heading back to my friends.

I put on my robe as they talk about what they're going to do after graduation. Monse is going to a college that's specialises in writing, Jamal wants to be a detective as he found that trying to solve mysteries is his new favourite thing and Ruby wants to become a lawyer.

"What about you Cesar?" Asks Monse.

"I don't really know guys. I still want to be an architect, but I don't see myself making it out of Freeridge. I don't have the money for it and I doubt I'd get a scholarship." He shrugs disappointedly.

"Hey don't say that. I've seen some of your stuff and it's really good. You just need to believe in yourself more." I smile reassuringly.

"You should really put in for scholarships so you can get the hell out of Freeridge." Says Monse.

"Scholarships aren't the only ways, there are many pathways. You could get apprenticeships, student loans or programs that specialise in helping kids like us. Kids that come from shitty places." I add.

"And they'd be crazy not to want you." Encourages Ruby.

"We believe in you man and you should too." Says Jamal placing a hand on his shoulder.

"I'll look into it." Nods Cesar with a hopeful smile.

I really hope he does get out of here, Cesar has great potential. I know he'll make something out of himself. Which is something I say time and time again. He deserves to get out and live his life. He deserves to be happy.

"Alright students!" Calls out a teacher. "Time to make your way out onto the stage! Remember to stay in your lines and sit in your designated seats!" She informs.

We walk out of the classroom and to the opening of the field. We all get into our lines and make our way on stage. On the stage is a stand with a microphone. In front of the stage sits a chair for each of us, then behind that is an audience of the families.

As we walk to our seats I look out at the audience and spot Daniela, Antonio and Oscar. I smile at them while Daniela waves at me. I sit down at my seat and wait for the ceremony to carry on.

It is now time for Rachel Jones to give the valedictorian speech.

"High school was fun, but we have turned a page in our life. We have moved from childhood into adulthood and now is the time to find our passion. It's time to learn what we want to be if we haven't figured it out, or follow our dream if we have. We've been through a tough 14 years, especially this last year. We've all made mistakes, plenty of mistakes... I know that I have. Stealing Shelly's boyfriend in 3rd grade was definitely a mistake, but I think I did her a favor." She says earning a laugh from the crowd. "Staying up the night before ACTs was a mistake, but I'm standing up here so it wasn't that bad. I have made mistakes. Hundreds, no thousands, okay maybe millions, of mistakes within my short 18 years. Have I learned from all of them? Maybe a little. But more often than not mistakes helped me to grow. We've all made some life long friends that we'd call family. They've made these last years bearable. Though I know we all have friends that we'd probably won't see again. Most of us off to college, some getting jobs right away, some settling down and others travelling. But we've made some great memories, memories we'll hold onto forever. I just want to thank all those of you that have made the last years special. But now here we are, done with school and moving on the the rest of their lives." Speaks Rachel. "Your families are extremely proud of you. You can't imagine the sense of relief they are experiencing." She continues. "This would be a most opportune time to ask for money." She adds causing everyone to laugh. "Well that's all from me, I just want to hurry up and get food. So thank you all." She smiles and waves before joining the rest of us.

Everyone erupts into applause.

"Well now it's time to hand out diplomas." Says the principal into the microphone.

One by one, in alphabetical order, we all get called to come and collect the diploma. Each time someone is called up, the crowd cheers.

"Cesar Diaz."

"Wooo!" I cheer for him as he gets handed his diploma.

The next of my friends is Monse, then Ruby.

"Jamila Ramirez."

As I walk up on stage I can hear Daniela yelling and Antonio and Oscar whistling.

I walk up to the principal and shake his hand as he hands me the diploma. I swap the string to the other side before we pause to look at the camera for a photo, then I walk off the stage.

The next of my friends is Cole and last Jamal.

We all stand with our diplomas and cap in hand.

"I am pleased to announce that you all have officially graduated. Give it up for the graduates!" Yells the principal before we all toss our caps in the air.