Missing

*flashbacks*

"You ready for your new home kiddo? I've decorated your room nicely for you...I hope you'll like it, bunny." Hopper smiles, looking back in the mirror at Ethel who was dancing In her car seat to the radio.
"I'm so excited, papa! I hope my room is yellow!"
"Ohh..well you'll have to wait and see, won't you!"
"Aweee...how long till we're there, papa! I'm hungry and wanna explore!"
"Not long, Ethel. Nearly there."

*current day - Ethel is now 7 years old, she goes to hawkins first school and is friends with Erica Sinclair who is older than her. Erica is very protective of her*

"Papa! Can I skip school! I don't wanna dress up for Halloween...it's embarrassing!"
"Skipping school? Why would I let you do that? Hm? It's a no, Ethel. And why don't you wanna dress up? That's the whole point of Halloween!"
Hopper raises a bushy brow at his daughter. When did she become so grown up? So mature. Not dressing up for Halloween his arse. She needs to be a child until she's not.
"Well..I don't have a cool costume! I wanna be a vampire but all I have is princess costumes. They'll all laugh!"
"Well...maybe you could be a vampire uh..princess?" He sips from his coffee mug, smiling.
"Oh my god! That's so smart Papa! Why didn't I think of that?!"

(This is Ethel!)

"Maybe because your brain is so small? I mean you are small yourself." Hopper chuckles, messing up his daughter hair.
She crosses her arms and huffs, laughing a little afterwards.

After half an hour, her outfit was ready. She was a vampire princess and she loved it.
"Pose for a picture, Bunny! C'mon!"
"Whyyy!"
"Just do it!"
Ethel pouts, striking a 'scary' pose for the camera outside the cabin.
"Is that good enough papa?"
"Mhm! Hurry off to school, bunny, I've gotta get to work!"
"Okay okay! Bye!!"
"Bye Ethel!"

——-/———————

He lights up a Hand rolled cigarette and Drags on it. His trailer is perched on the shore of a lake. It's a bit lonely out here. But damn if it isn't beautiful.

Hopper rubs his arms. Getting cold. Enough beauty for now.

After a good 20 minutes, he arrives at work.
The station isn't a big place, it was small. Small for a small town. You could hardly see it too.
He was late
"Good of you to show u-" Florence says, rolling her eyes
"Good to see you too, flo.."
Hopper heads over to the coffee machine, meeting his friends Callahan and Powell.
"Rough night, boss?"
"Rougher than your wife, Powell..." Callahan chuckles, and Powell bites his tongue.
"No smoking in the building, Jim!" Florence shouts from her desk.
"Yeah yeah!"
"Gnomes are missing from mr larsons again..."
"Yeah well tell him I'll be right on it..again" hop grunts, sipping his coffee.
"Well...there's something you might wanna check out first. Joyce Byers can't find her son-"
"Florence you're dampening my mood..tell her I'll
Be there later. Now it's time for coff-"
"She's really worried boss-"
"Florence."
Flo rolls her eyes behind her thin glasses, hopper goes into his office - Joyce was there, looking tired miserable and scared.
"My son is missing, hopper! I need you to find him!"
"You sure he didn't go to school early? Meet with friends?" Hopper sounds bored, not interested more like.
"I'm sure! He would've told me. Wills not like that.."
"I've been waiting an hour! An hour for you to go look for him!"
"And I'm sorry, Joyce, but we have other things to do. He's probably with friends skipping a day of school. Kids do that. Trust me."
"What! Trust you? You're not interested in finding MY missing son!"
"Look, my mother thought I was on the sporting team, when really I was fucking bitches left right and Center-"
"He's not like that, Hop! He's different! He's only got a few friends, the others laugh at him, call him names!"
"Why?"
"Does it matter why?"
"Maybe.."
Hopper sips his coffee
"They always say he's queer..."
"And is he?"
"He's missing that's what he is! And a shitty police officer won't look for him!"
"You heard from lonnie?"
"About a year ago..but he's not involved in this!"
"What's his number?"
"What-"
"Look Joyce, Kids go missing, ninety-nine times
outta a hundred the kid's with a parent or relative!"
"What about the other time?"
"What?"
" You said "ninety-nine outta a hundred What about the other time? The one."
Hopper leans forwards, shaking his head.
"Joyce. This is hawkins. Now the only missing thing here is the city life. Fun. The worst thing that's happened here is when a girl got attacked by a bird!"