Chapter Seven

The carnival continued, the lights from the rides and stalls flashing away, music blaring and children laughing and screaming. Although he hated this kind of thing and literally couldn't imagine anything worse, Alex was actually having a good time. That may or not have to do with a certain someone. And this someone had just skipped off to the teddy winning stall like a little child. It was clear Norma was enjoying herself, she looked happy and so that made him happy.

He followed her as she went on over to the stall, watching as she played. She had three tries, but each one failed. She looked disappointed and started to walk away, looking for something else to do. The game was clearly a fix, and as much as he was determined to get this teddy he wasn't going to give in to wasting away all his money. Luckily, he just so happened to know he guy at the stall. Or more like, the guy at the stall just so happened to know Alex. Although of course he knew him as Sheriff Romero. He made a deal with him, giving him the money and coming back with the teddy. He sat down next to Norma who was sitting on a wall nearby. "You said you wouldn't leave here without winning one, I don't think I could bear staying here all night." he nudged her, proud of his little pun there.

Norma turned to look at him, her cheeks turning crimson red. "Oh my god..." she laughed, shaking her head. "Did you really just do the whole 'guy wins the girl the teddy' thing?" she raised an eyebrow.

"Looks like I did." Alex let out an amused chuckle, shrugging. "Don't worry, I'll carry it."

"Okay, good, I think I'd probably keel over the moment you put it in my arms if I tried to carry it." Norma laughed, rubbing her arms and shuddering slightly. She was mentally cursing at Emma right now.

"Are you cold?" Alex asked, noticing her body language.

"Very. I blame Emma, she made me wear the one thing I don't have a jacket to match with." Norma said, rolling her eyes.

Alex sat the teddy down for a moment, standing up and shrugging off his leather jacket. "Here." He put it around her. "It's not exactly New York fashion week worthy, but it'll keep you warm."

Norma slid her arms into the jacket, wrapping it around her. "Thanks, Alex." she smiled.

"Come on, let's go" Alex jumped off the wall with the oversized teddy, laughing at how funny he probably looked carrying it. He held out his hand to help Norma.

Norma took his hand, dropping down off the wall. "Where now?" She leaned into him slightly without realising, still feeling a little cold even with his jacket on.

Alex looked around, shrugging his shoulders. "There's no use asking me, I don't know what there is to do here."

Norma scrunched her nose up looking at him. "Would it be bad if I kinda want to leave?"

Alex laughed, shaking his head. "You want to go home?"

"I'm hungry, and the last time I ate at the carnival I'm pretty sure I threw up.." Norma pulled a face. "Aaand I'm still cold." she said with a guilty look on her face.

Alex raised an eyebrow, looking at her. "I'm not wearing a coat and even I'm not cold."

"Typical." Norma rolled her eyes, just pulling the jacket tighter around her body. "Ugh, men. You're such show-offs."

"Jeez, I was just stating the truth, you don't have to get all bitchy with me." Alex looked down at her.

"Okay okay I'll shut up. I think I prefer Babbling Bates than Bitchy Bates." Norma said, laughing again.

"Nah...don't worry. I think Babbling Bates is going to stick for a while. Until I get bored of it, and then I'll think of something else." Alex grinned.

A familiar voice came from behind them. Emma. "Heyy you won a teddy. Awesome. I never see people winning those things."

Norma laughed, gesturing towards Alex. "The credit goes to this guy."

Alex bowed, smiling slightly. "Hey--" he remembered Norma's wish to go home. "Are you guys ready to go home?"

"Well, we were just going to go on the rollercoaster actually but--" Emma started.

Norma waved her hand. "Oh, no, it's fine. Don't worry about it. You go, have fun." she smiled and nodded.

Dylan went to follow Emma as she started off on her way to the rollercoaster. He looked back at Norma, being able to tell that she obviously wanted to go home. But Emma was having fun, and he didn't want to take that away from her. "You know...you guys can go home if you want. We'll catch a cab or something."

"Are you sure?" Norma looked at him. She rummaged around in her purse. "I can give you some money for the cab--"

"Mom." Dylan laughed quietly. "Just go home, it's fine...honestly." he turned around as Emma called him, looking back to Norma and Alex. "I'll see you later." he said before following Emma.

Norma stood here, tilting her head and smiling warmly. "He called me mom..."

The change in Dylan and Norma's relationship was nice to see. Alex remembered a time where they never used to get on, but things had changed now. And with all the drama going on at the moment, it was a good job that was happening now. He simply smiled, getting out his car keys and starting to walk back to the car. "So do you want me to drop you off, or..?"

Norma looked at him, frowning a little. "I thought you were coming back with me, I was going to get us some food..."

Alex looked at her. "Oh! I thought...Oh." he laughed awkwardly.  "I thought you wanted to be alone or something, I dunno" he shrugged.

"The last thing I want to be right now is alone." Norma looked at him.

"Then you don't have to be." Alex said with a small smile, unlocking his car and getting inside.