Two Souls

For her whole life, Michellee Weebie was a sheltered kid. Not that she wanted to be, it's just that her own mother was a devout Catholic and was very strict. It was like this for eighteen years until Michellee went to college. While she was there she majored in art, minored in number crunching, and even went vegan for the first time.

Then she met Peter Paesano. One day, on Michellee's winter break in her senior year, when she and her roommate vacationed at a ski lodge, she saw him effortlessly weave around trees like a mouse running through a maze on its tenth attempt; to put it simply, he was a pro.

Gia, Michellee's roommate, saw her grinning like an idiot and said, "You like him, don't you?"

"What?" Michellee scoffs and says, "No..." She was chuckling because she knew that she was lying.

"Please, I know you do. Why don't you talk to him?"

"I can't."

"Why not?"

"Because he's...you know? A pro and I didn't even know how to ski until you showed me. I'd just embarrass myself in front of him."

"He probably doesn't care about that. You never know until you try."

Michellee thought about what Gia had just said. Then she prepared herself to ski down the slope. Just as she pushed off, however, her foot slipped out of her right ski and she began to panic. This caused her to fall over and roll down the hill. She even got caught up in a giant snowball, which broke apart when it hit a tree.

Someone came running up to her. "Miss, are you ok?", they asked.

Michellee looked up at who asked and saw that it was Peter Paesano. Her jaw dropped and she made a small, barely audible gasp. "Oh, I think so." She tried to stand up, but felt a stab of pain in her leg.

"Hold on, let me see it." Peter then examined her leg. Michellee spared a glance and noticed her tibia was bent at an odd angle. She didn't know if she wanted to scream or faint.

Just then, Gia came down on the ski lift and ran over to her roommate. "Michellee! Are you okay?"

"No." She was gritting her teeth and holding back tears.

"Don't worry, miss", Peter said. "I'll help get you to the hospital." He turned to Gia and asked, "Could you please give me a hand?"

"No problem."
——
What a way to end winter break.

For six weeks, Michellee had to wear a cast, which of course meant that she and Gia had to end their trip early. But, while at the hospital, she did secure the opportunity to talk to Peter. Apparently, he was such a good skier because he delivers mail to a neighborhood of walruses, once every day (and on Saturday's, twice).

But as the weeks turned to months (with a successful healing process), Michellee found that she and Peter had a lot in common. Even though he was a postman, he did painting in his spare time, some of his completed works he happily showed her.
——
But that summer, Michellee's life changed forever.

This was when she became pregnant with E.B. That, combined with having her first piece put up in the Wall of Halls in Meepville, where she and Peter were living together, she felt like her happiness had no bounds.

That's when things went south.

Michellee received a call from a doctor telling her that, while he was out doing his deliveries, he had fallen into some thin ice and when he was recovered, he was beyond help. After the call, Michellee felt like the floor was yanked from under her. She slid down the wall, crying and holding her baby bump. Her daughter would grow up not knowing her father. Michellee couldn't think of anyone else to turn to; she hasn't talked to Gia after they had a falling out and her mother wouldn't approve of the fact that she became pregnant without getting married first.

So, Michellee decided to move to Glurfsburg, a safe little town where nothing happens. That's where she gave birth to E.B., short for Elanabeth. She had the same red hair and fiery tinge to her fur as her father did. Still, Michellee loved her daughter dearly. Still, she couldn't deny the fact that she was overprotective of her.