I've been here for four days. Being the first to arrive at the hunter exam is quite boring. I was catching up on some sleep until - "heyo!" I opened my eye to see a man in a blue shirt staring down at me, he was number 16. "i've never seen you around, are you new here?" not being one for small talk, i closed my eyes, intending to dose off once again. "hey,, im talking to u!" i opened my eyes once more, this time noticeably agitated. the man tensed at my glare and gulped while backing up a bit. i looked around seeing there were now hundreds of people here.

    sitting up, i decided it was time to finally do something other than sleep. "yes, this is my first time taking the exam." i stretched my arms while speaking to the man. I hoped he would take the hint in the tone of my voice and leave the ledge i was resting on. "oh! well my name is tonpa and this is my  34th time taking the exam." the man named tonpa sounded smug, and even smiled at his number of attempts. "that's not something to be proud of." i looked tonpa in the eye changing his mood once again. "oh, well, what about a toast to friendship!" tonpa handed me a small orange can.

     "we are not friends." i took one wiff of the drink and knew it had laxatives. besides, i wasn't about the take off my mask for a measly orange soda offered by a man who was rather annoying. i sighed and threw the can off the ledge, not really minding that i could hit someone. "hey, what was that about? i finally thought i was gonna get to see your face." i rolled my eyes before responding. "what was the point in giving me a drink clearly laced. you must be one of those so called "rookie crushers" i had been warned about." tonpa sweat dropped and tried to profusely reject my accusations.

     "tonpa, i do not care if you continue your stupid antics as long as you leave me out of it." tonpa tensed once again listening to my statement. "what's with all those bandages anyways?" another reason i prefer to stay away from small talk; the constant questions surrounding the bandages on my waist, forearms, hands, and especially the ones covering my mouth and left eye. "as i said, we are not friends. and quite frankly i believe that is none of your business."

  "hello! the hunter exam will now begin. all 405 applicants will participate in phase one. now if you'll please follow me." saved by the mustache.

    i dropped down off my ledge while everyone began running. i pulled out my skateboard from my bag and went on with the exam. about half an hour into the exam i heard a man yelling something about running like the rest of them and having respect for the exam. peoples stupidness is such a nuisance. i continued along with the rest of the applicants, minding my buisiness and listening to music when i suddenly heard voices next to me. odd since everyone else was either silent or panting.

     "hi! how old are you? you seem our age." i looked to the side of of me too see two kids who did in fact, look like my age. the one that spoke to me was enthusiastic , and wearing all green that matched the color of his spiky hair, and was carrying a fishing rod on the side of his backpack. "im 14." i kept my usual straight face as i moved one side of my headphones behind my ear. "oh sweet! we're 14 too! im gon, and this is killua!" i looked to the other side of me to see a kid who had a much simpler outfit, but had some odd shoes. his gaze was cold towards me, a gaze that felt awfully familiar."

     "i'm hades, it's nice to meet you." i mustered up a small smile talking to the two boys. i must admit, i still do despise small talk, but gon had such a nice presence that i couldn't help to respond. i looked at killua who had now moved to the other side of me, now running alongside gon. "we should be friends." i paused for a bit upon hearing the boys words. "sure, i would like that." i kept my soft smile that was barely noticeable through my bandages. "awesome!" it felt a bit odd skating while my 'friends' were running so i decided to take a break and placed my board back into my bag.