holidays

On Christmas Eve, Y/N went to bed looking forward to the next day for the food and the fun, but not expecting any presents at all. When he woke early in the morning, however, the first thing he saw was a small pile of packages at the foot of his bed.

“Merry Christmas,” said Harry sleepily as Y/N scrambled out of bed and pulled on his bathrobe.

“You, too,” said Y/N. “Will you look at this? We’ve got some presents!”

“What did you expect, turnips?” said Ron, turning to his own pile, which was a lot bigger than The two brother's

Y/N picked up the top parcel. It was wrapped in thick brown paper and scrawled across it was To Y/N, from Hagrid. Inside was a roughly cut wooden flute. Hagrid had obviously whittled it himself. Y/N blew it — it sounded a bit like an owl.

A second, very small parcel contained a note.

We received your message and enclose your Christmas present. From Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia. Taped to the note was a fifty-pence piece.

“That’s friendly,” said Harry, now next to his brother.

Ron was fascinated by the fifty pence.

“Weird!” he said, “What a shape! This is money?”

“You can keep it,” said Y/N, laughing at how pleased Ron was. “Hagrid and my aunt and uncle — so who sent these two?”

“I think I know who that one’s from,” said Ron, turning a bit pink and pointing to a very lumpy parcel. “My mom. I told her you two didn’t expect any presents and — oh, no,” he groaned, “she’s made you a Weasley sweater.”

Y/N had torn open the parcel to find a thick, hand-knitted sweater in emerald green and a large box of homemade fudge.

“Every year she makes us a sweater,” said Ron, unwrapping his own, “and mine’s always maroon.”

“That’s really nice of her,” said Y/N, trying the fudge, which was very tasty and giving his brother a piece since the note also said it was for both of them.

His next present also contained candy — a large box of Chocolate Frogs from Hermione.

This only left one parcel. Y/N picked it up and felt it. It was very light. He unwrapped it.

Something fluid and silvery gray went slithering to the floor where it lay in gleaming folds. Ron gasped.

“I’ve heard of those,” he said in a hushed voice, dropping the box of Every Flavor Beans he’d gotten from Hermione. “If that’s what I think it is — they’re really rare, and really valuable.”

“What is it?” Harry picked the shining, silvery cloth off the floor. It was strange to the touch, like water woven into material.

“It’s an Invisibility Cloak,” said Y/N, a look of awe on his face. “I’m sure it is — try it on.”

Harry threw the cloak around his shoulders and Ron gave a yell.

“It is! Look down!”

Harry looked down at his feet, but they were gone. He dashed to the mirror. Sure enough, his reflection looked back at him, just his head suspended in midair, his body completely invisible. He pulled the cloak over his head and his reflection vanished completely.

“There’s a note!” said Ron suddenly.

“A note fell out of it!” Harry pulled off the cloak and seized the letter. Written in narrow, loopy writing he had never seen before were the following words: