1943-4

William's pov

I have been sent back state side, apparently I'm no longer needed in the Navy. What utter bullshit, those boys out there are being blown to bits by the Japanese and because I was lucky I survived I've been grounded for life. So now I've decided to try and join the army. I found a lovely woman named Agent Margret 'Peggy' Carter, we found a great friend ship as we where both British and working for the Americans. She helped me get back into the fight. She took me with her as her assistant. Normally people thought I was agent Carter and that she was my Assistant but they soon found out very quickly that it was the other way around. I became her personal pilot for most of the war. She was great and she knew how much it meant to me to see some action again. When she finally got stationed at Camp Lehigh in Virgina. I was sent back to Britain as part of operation overlord better known as D-Day. I was assigned to the 1st infantry unit better known as the 'bloody first'. I was the machine gunner of my company, headed by a lieutenant Miller. I worked with Private Jones together we worked and maintained the .50cal. Our target was Omaha beach, it's time for a nice holiday boys.

6.6.1944 (finally one date Americans get right.)

0600 hours

The sea wasn't calm today, it seems like the weather knew we where coming. I swear if I get another one of the privates looking over my shoulder looking at my faded painting of my angel I'll shoot them.
Jenkins "I wish I was coming home to someone like her FC."
William "shut it, Jenkins."
Miller "when's the last time you saw her?"
William " '42"
Miller "Enterprise?"
William "Enterprise."
Coulson "where did you do the painting in a war zone?"
The whole landing craft giggled with him
William "yeah, at pearl harbour."
Suddenly the entire landing craft went silent.
William "the black was from the buildings and the red is from my blood, I was thrown from the Arizona when she exploded. I was fired through the emergency hatch and landed on the runway. My side was ripped open by the remainder of the hatch. I touched up on the colours during the battle of midway. The black came from a smouldering palm tree and the red was from the 16 machine gun bullets in my torso."
Allen "still not quite Picasso then FC?"
William "who knows maybe after today."
The landing craft filled with frightened laughter but not one person would let on because if I could get through all that they thought they could.
Miller "right 5 minutes."
As soon as he said that the gun fire started to intensify, shells landed ether side of the landing craft.
William "no turning back now boys, remember what you were told no digging in and get to the sea wall. If I see any of you still on the beach when we reach the sea mall you better be dead or the tanks will kill you."
Miller "do you think you've traumatised them enough?"
William "it's just the truth, unless you would like to right up all the condolence letters back home?"
Miller "no your fine."
As we draw in nearer the coast the gun fire intensifies, a scream comes from one of the men as a round passes through his shoulder.
Miller "everyone down."
Everyone who didn't have the brains to already be crouching had learnt the lesson.
The sailor "10 seconds"
Miller "drop the ramp when we get there."
The sailor "but there's no cover."
William "that was a god damn order sailor."
Soon after the ramp drops, suddenly we are the main target for the machine guns. The ones who didn't get out where quickly turned into mince meat. Men where screaming out in pain only to be silenced by another bullet calling it a day instead it's next unfortunate victim. Quickly running behind the first lot of hedgehogs and waiting for the mgs to reload. Every time they reload you run. Our men scattered along the beach with out anyway to tell who it is with out being right next to them at the sea wall. My mind is brought back to my angel in disguise, I wonder if she watching this. For her sake I hope not. We quickly pushed through the bunkers suffering a few more causalities but at the end it only seamed like we lost 3 men and injured a further 7, to bring our band of 21 to only 11 combat ready. If we're going to throw the Germans out of France we're going to need some new men and I won't hold my breath.

2 weeks later

We've established a beach head I've been given my own company and told to report to a British general going by the name of Montgomery. When me and my hand picked team of just 5 of us arrived we where met with mixed feelings. The British army didn't really like Americans to much as they were seen to be very cocky in North Africa and in Italy but when the heard my Scottish accent come out they were a bit more relaxed. Armed with a Willy's jeep, a bazooka, 5 Thompson machine guns, a 50.cal machine gun, 2 M1903a4 sniper rifle, 3 m1 grands and 5 colt m1911 pistols. We were known as ASAT, American Special Assault Team. Tasked with going in quietly and causing as much damage as possible and running away or if need be holding a point until the main forces came to relieve us. That's my new job answering only to General Montgomery, General Patten and British prime minister Winston Churchill. The less people who knew what we were doing the better.

Ypres, Belgium.

Our poor men have only just started to make head way through France. Me and my company have been tasked with a sabotage mission, this kind of work was normally carried out by ether the SAS or the British commandos. The reason we were sent in was that we would hopefully rally up as many resistance fighters as possible and cause a major disturbance and slow the mighty German army. Luckily for us a lot of resistance fighters had joined us and even managed to find allied soldiers who had escaped from near by concentration camps. Our small company of 5 grew in numbers to 75 strong, each one having specialised expertise and knowledge of the area. We managed to get everyone into the large church in the centre of the town without drawing any attention to ourselves. A small radio played quietly in the corner wait for a message saying "Mother cry's, for her fathers return.". To most it meant nothing but to us, it meant all hell would break loose.

3 weeks after D-day

"And now for some personal messages.
Mother cry's, for her father's return."
William "right people that's our que. give them hell."
Suddenly a roar of gunfire erupted from the church at the unsuspecting Germans. Running around panicking they where easily picked of by the hundreds. Tanks were glowing after our stolen anti-tank guns fired from the church doors.
Bombs falling all around us landing only meters from our positions. The work of the RAF, for once they were on target.