Chapter 30

Cheryl's POV

Before I got out of the car, Kimberley made me promise not to say anything stupid, or do anything stupid. So I promised. The poor girl looks petrified that she's even here, looking at her mother. I don't intend to start anything with this woman. All I want is for her to let me get Kimberley what she wants. So I march straight up to her.

'Hello. You must be Mrs Walsh?'

'Oh my God, Cheryl Cole!' the neighbour gasps. 'Oh my God!'

I give her a polite smile and look back at Kimberley's mum. She looks quite bewildered. 'Yes...?'

I stick out my hand. 'Pleased to meet you, I'm Cheryl.'

She takes my hand, looking dumbstruck. 'Err, nice to meet you...'

'I suppose you're wondering what I'm doing here.'

'Well--'

'Let me explain. I'm a friend of your daughters. Actually scratch that. I'm Kimberley's girlfriend.'

There is a horrible, long silence. 'Err, I better check my washing...' the neighbour says, disappearing into her house and closing the door. Perfect. Now I can speak freely. 'Did you hear me, Mrs Walsh?'

'I heard you. What are you doing here?' She glances behind me, at the car. 'Is she with you?'

'She who? She has a name you know.'

'Is she?'

'Yes, she is.'

'Why are you here, why is she here?'

'Kimberley is here because I brought her, but she isn't here to see you, don't worry. Your daughter can't even look at you, how does that make you feel?' Without waiting for an answer I just continue. 'She's been to her father's grave today. I asked her if she had a picture because I wanted to see what he looked like, and she couldn't show me one. Because you threw her out of her home. And you never cared what happened to her after that, did you?'

'How dare you come here and--'

'How dare I?!' I say, not even realising both of us are raising our voices now. 'I'm the person who took care of your daughter when you decided your duties as a mother no longer applied! A matter of weeks ago your daughter almost died. You weren't there for her, what kind of mother does that make you?!'

I am barely aware of a car door slamming and footsteps, until I feel a hand on my arm. 'Cheryl. That's enough.'

'She needs to hear this Kimberley!'

'It's not going to make any difference, Cheryl, please! Come back to the car.'

I can hear the tears in Kimberley's voice and turn to her. 'Please.'

'Kimberley...'

Kimberley clenches her fists and looks straight at her mum when she whispers her name. 'What?'

'H-how are you?'

I let out a loud laugh. She has got to be joking.

'I'm fine. You know, not in a coma anymore.' Kimberley shrugs. 'So, have you burned the contents of my room yet or d'you think I could go up there and get something?'

Kimberley's mum changes from timid and nervous to steely in a second. She folds her arms, frowning. 'I don't want you in my house.'

'That's no problem, I'll nip in for her.' I smile breezily. I stride right past her mum and straight through the open door into the house. As I enter I hear Kimberley from outside. 'Top of the stairs, furthest room on your left babe.'