Chapter Six

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

AFTER THE MOVIE ENDED, Casey spent a good thirty minutes trying to get Steve to admit that he liked it. Even if he didn't say it out loud, she knew by the way his eyes were glued to the TV and how he laughed at every joke. He was laughing at things that she didn't even think were meant to be funny, but he found humor in it somehow. When he finally said, "It wasn't bad, okay?" She rolled her eyes, but let it be. He just couldn't let her know that he was wrong. 

They ended up talking for a few hours after that, until the sun was way down. It wasn't anything in particular, simply random nonsense. One minute, they're laughing about a jingle they heard from a commercial and the next their gossiping about someone from school. It went on until Casey's eyelids began to droop and yawns were escaping her. 

Her head relaxed on the arm of the couch and her legs stretched out in front of her, situtaed over Steve's lap. He tapped her knee, "Go to bed, Case." 

"I'm not even that tired," she lied with her eyes closed. 

He snorted, "You're not fooling anyone. C'mon." He tosses her legs to the side like a ragdoll, and her feet hit the floor. "I'll clean up down here." 

She slowly rose to an upright position, her hair falling to her shoulders, speaking through a yawn, "I can help." 

"Don't worry about it," he assured her, standing and grabbing the empty pizza box to bring into the kitchen. "You know where everything is." 

He walked off before she could protest, not that she thought she could make a propelling argument anyway. She climbed to her feet and sleepily made her way upstairs to the guest bathroom. She brushed her teeth and her hair then made her way to Steve's bedroom for some clothes to steal. After she changed, she collapsed onto his bed with her arms and legs sticking out like a starfish. Her head fell to the side and she caught sight of the portrait she drew of them. There used to be a small picture of him and Nancy propped against it, but that had disappeared. 

Subconsciously, her fingers rose to the token around her neck. She rubbed her thumb against the etching in the metal, a smile finding its way to her lips thinking how he had the very same token in his back pocket. And with those thoughts on her mind, she drifted off until eventually falling asleep. 

- - ┈┈∘┈˃̶༒˂̶┈∘┈┈ - -

Casey was awakened by the sounds of mumbled words she didn't understand and lots of banging. Her forehead crinkled as her brows pulled tightly together and she lifted her head lazily off the mattress. Steve was in his closet, doing god knows what, throwing things into a box. "What the hell are you doing?" Casey groaned, collapsing back down and rubbing her hand over her eyes.