Chapter 4: The Blackwood Forest

Chaos Year 3, Day 109, 6:17 pm.

The rustling sounds resonated across the Blackwood Forest, as our every step crunched the withered orange leaves. The smell of animals and monsters hung in the still air. No flowers seemed to help the uneasy odor. In the dim light of twilight, shadows darted about, leaving us with a creepy sensation as if everything was watching us. This strange feeling combined with the long foreboding cries of various creatures trembled our hearts from time to time.

"Ugh, where does it end? Feels like I've been walking forever." Shinji complained, eyes glancing around to find anything other than tree trunks and damp mossy soil. "And why were we teleported into…"

"Shut up! Stop whining. It's been only an hour," Lynx scowled. He and Pika had been on the move way much longer after all.

Lynx usually stayed calm and collected. But whenever he snapped for real, it turned into a disaster. So we had to zip it before that. It was a rule among us. So, Shinji gulped down his next words immediately. 

"Isn't the void gate nearest to our city, though?" I changed the topic, sensing the awkward silence. "I mean, the teleportation device couldn't even cover half the distance. It's even supposed to be the best device available."

"That's how far apart the cities are, Ryoki-kun. We don't usually feel that way, since we teleport through the celestial teleportation gates in the city halls." Hikari added.

Hikari and I walked side by side. Her long silky silver hair waved alongside her, covering half her side face, giving off a mysterious aura in the soft light. 

She continued, "Also, Blackwood Forest is quite large. So it's not like the forest is closer to Cephia City. Rather, the void gate is the closest to the city. Technically though, it'd have been much easier to reach the place through..."

"Hikari, you are doing it again," Boss sighed. He took the lead to save us from Hikari's continuous info-dumping habit.

"Ah!" Hikari came back to her senses. "I am sorry."

"U-umm guys, I feel like something's watching us." Pinkpika's voice quivered, just behind me. 

I turned around and caught her nervously glancing around. Cat ears tweaked atop her pink head, while her long fluffy tail stopped flailing around as she halted her steps.

"Ya, I felt that ever since I entered the forest." Shinji, shrugging his shoulders, smirked. "Women..."

"Not like that," said Pika, scowling at Shinji. "Something really is tailing us, something big."

She realized, probably, because of her race. Beastkins had much sharper 5 senses than other races in Chaos.

Pika's large purple eyes finally fixated on a single direction, as her frail index pointed at our left, "L-look!"

A pair of bloodshot eyes, three times larger than a human's, approached us from the shadow behind the thicket. When it came out from the shadow, moonlight glimmered on the creature, revealing its massive golden brown body. 

Auoooo~ Under the bright full moon, it let out a spine-chilling howl.

"That's Lykos the Wolf King, right?" I recognized the majestic beast right away. "How deep in the forest are we?"