Chapter 4

Ronald and Paisley walked into the event hall hand in hand.

Everyone focused their eyes on the entrance of the latest couple in the South.

The murmuring and whispering became louder as they saw my supposed fiancé that I loved, holding my dear sister that I cared for.

"Lord Belv's lover is the other Lady Deor?"

"He broke off his engagement for the bastard lady?"

"Lady Adrianna cared for and always protected Lady Paisley. They seemed so close"

"I used to think Lady Paisley was innocent, but it seems that she's a sly fox"

"Tsk, stealing her sister's fiancé"

"Poor Lady Adrianna...she must be heartbroken"

The nobles watching the drama all sympathized with me and looked at Paisley and Ronald with dislike.

I held back the urge to smile and immediately retreated to a group of the most active gossiping ladies.

Ronald had been able to read the mood, however, Paisley being the stupid bubble head that she was, remained ignorant of the current image she had slowly gained.

Paisley seemed to always have the thought that everyone would love her no matter what she did.

Often times when growing up, she'd break something of mine or offend me and would not apologize and would instead say something along the lines of.

"I know you're not going to be mad"

Or something like.

"You know I'm clumsy so I'm not to be blamed"

It seemed as if she had this perception that she was meant to be forgiven and loved by everybody.

It was my fault for nurturing this behavior. I should have long ago put her in her place.

A lady who seemed to be resltess and could not remain silent anymore, approached me.

"Lady Deor, how are you feeling?"

It was obvious that she did not have pure intentions since she had whispered to her friends around her before approaching me.

She was among one of the gossip mongers.

I did not ignore her, but instead used her as a means to promote the news of Paisley and Ronald.

Pitifully, I held my cheek and spoke in a low tone at first.

"I'm fine"

I dramatically looked over at Paisley and Ronald who were standing next to each other, talking lovingly.

Tears began to brim in my eyes and I spoke to the lady, this time in a louder voice.

"I don't know what I did to deserve this. Hic...it was really surprising when I discovered...hic...the affair between Paisley and Lord Belv.

Hic...hic...I sincerely cared for Paisley...hic...she knew that I loved him. Yet..."

I covered my eyes with both my hands and excused myself from the venue after making such a scene.

I ran out through the door, my hair moving behind me. I looked like a heartbroken girl running away from a sad scene.

My image was imprinted into the minds of the people at the venue that day. The talk about the relationship between Lord Belv and the Ladies of Deor became a very hot topic in the South.