| Chapter 3 |

Silas yelled my name when the chandelier came crashing down. A scream escaped my lips. I fell to the ground, pushing my face into my hands. This is a nightmare, it has to be. This isn't real. I will wake up in a bit, in Silas's arms. All safe and sound. 

But I knew this wasn't a nightmare. I felt the pain in my ribs from my fall. I felt my throbbing head. I heard the screams of panicking people. I heard the roars of the raging dragons. My breath quickened. I shut my eyes tightly, my heart was racing. I felt a hand on my shoulder. "Fallie." The soft voice of my boyfriend made me look up. I felt tears burning in my eyes. "Fallon, I need you to calm down." Silas came into my voice, he crouched in front of me. "I can't." I desperately shook my head, hot tears falling down my cheeks. "You can, you have to. We need to get out before they get-." But he got cut off by a loud bang. The high doors got blasted into the room, a huge dragon flying inside, almost filling up all the space of the ballroom. 

My eyes were stuck on the beast. It was red, his scales glowing in the light of the torches around the room. His wings were huge, the sound of them flapping as loud as a stormy sea. His gleaming red eyes were fierce, angry. He threw away all of the tables with his wings, cutting people in two with his claws. A scream rose in my throat, but Silas clasped his hand around my mouth. "Don't make a sound." He said, his voice soft. I pushed myself against his chest. "Where's my dad?" I sobbed when he pulled his hand away. "He's protecting my father, my love. He'll be fine, we all be fine." He comforted me quietly. But I heard the fear in his voice. Silas suddenly rose, carefully but confident and he pulled me along with him. "But right now, we have to get out." He whispered, his voice barely hearable above the roaring of the dragon. I nodded and moved along with him. When we almost reached safety, the dragon's eyes snapped at us. He growled. His wing moved toward us. I heard Silas roar my name when I felt the dragon's wing hit my stomach. Then it all went black.

A cry escaped my lips when I woke up again. My head was throbbing. My ribs and stomach burned with pain. I opened my eyes, to find the dragon gone. The whole ballroom was a mess, everything either broken or ruined. I pulled myself up against the wall, dizziness took over. I bit back another cry. My eyes went around the room. Dead people were scattered across it and more tears welled in my eyes. My gaze found the dais. The king and queen were gone, but my heart shattered when I saw another person laying on its stairs. I ran towards the body. The pain was unbearable but I couldn't care less. I dropped to my knees beside my father. "No please no." I sobbed, my body racking with each painful wave crashing over me. Father's pulse was gone, a bloody scar across his throat. He was dead. The curse wouldn't trigger him, he was dead. I laid my head on his chest. "Papa," I screamed out. 

"Fallon." A weak voice came from across the room. My head snapped towards the sound. There, behind some tables, laid the prince. The love of my life. The one who would never leave me. "No." Another sob ragged my body as I ran towards him. I fell to my knees, my body failing to keep me upright. A scar was across his ribs, the stank of dragon poison overwhelming me. "No, you can't be." I choked. "I'll be fine. It will be fine Fallie." He sputtered out. Weakly, his hand raised to my cheek, cupping it. I leaned into his touch. "I love you, Fallon Cahira." He said softly. "I love you too Silas Kavan until death does us apart." I cried. A smile appeared on his too handsome face. "I need you to run," Silas said. "I won't leave you." I shook my head. "Fallon, you're going to run and never look back. You're going to escape Eridaya and you're going to find peace somewhere." He said, his voice wavering. "No please, I can't. I don't want to without you." I leaned my forehead on his. He groaned, the curse racing through his body. I saw it in the way his pulse raced, the way his eyes went wild. But I still saw my Silas. I will always find him. He took my chin, giving me one final kiss. "Run." He whispered against my mouth. And so I did.

My feet dragged me through the hallways of the palace. Adrenaline coursing through my body. Everything hurt, all the muscles in my body ached but I kept running. Another roar made the palace shake and I tumbled forwards, my hands hitting the ground. I pulled myself up and continued my fast pace towards the entrance. I ran down some stairs, my gaze finding the windows. Dragons surrounded the castle, one even more monstrous than the other. I didn't want to know how many humans got taken by the curse tonight. But still, my eyes searched for a soft and warm gaze. For something familiar. Something that reminded me of him. But Silas wasn't himself now. He was one of them. And even though I would never be able to kill him, he does not feel the same now. He'll kill me when he sees me. 

Everyone who was in the palace either fled or died, because there was no one to be found. When I finally reached the main floor, I pushed open the familiar, heavy doors. I crossed the courtyard, my feet moving without thought. I ran past the training area, past the weaponry, past the tree me and Silas used to hide from the burning sun on summer days. I didn't stop until I reached the door of my house. I swung it open, pushing it back close when I got in. My breath quivered. Tears streaming hotly down my cheeks. The aroma of the house reminded me of my father. My father, laying on the dais stairs. My father who died protecting the king and queen. Who died trying to protect me. A ragged sob left my body. 

A terrifying growl shook me awake from my grief. The dragons were still here. They wouldn't stop until they killed everyone in the capital. I couldn't sit here, waiting for the elites. It would take too long. I stood on shaking legs, walking towards the hidden closet my father had made. I opened it with a deep breath. The sight of my father's belongings made my heart ache. I got out of my ripped dress, switching into a fine tunic from black leather. I fought my long black hair into a braid and took my black cloak out of my closet. I threw it over my shoulders, raising the hood over my head. My mind was fogged when I walked to the closet. My hand found the sheath of my father's sword. I attached it to my belt, the weight of it almost pulled me down.

I packed a bag full of the food that was left in the house. My gaze found my father's closet again and another tear rolled down my cheek. I took his cloak, pressing my nose into its fur. I always loved the general's cloak, the emblem of the kingdom proudly embroidered on it. I stuffed it into the bag, closing it and throwing it across my shoulder. I quietly opened the door again, my eyes sweeping over the house for the last time. "Goodbye, papa. May the Goddess of Death take you home." My voice was barely a whisper. I closed the door, turning my back to the memories I've made here. The Fallon who lived here had died. I emerged into the shadows of the courtyard, finding my way to the gates shielding the palace from the capital. I didn't look back once as the court burst into the fires. 

The pain was a constant reminder of what happened, of what I lost. But I knew what I had to do. This curse destroyed Eridaya for far too long. And as princess of this kingdom, as the daughter of the general, I had to stop this darkness. Those dragons and that witch will pay for what they have done. I'll make sure of it myself.

They took what was mine, now I'll take what is theirs.