All the Pretty Girls

The team was already in the conference room discussing what they found when Hotch and Prentiss arrived. Derek could immediately tell that something was up with Emily as soon as she walked in. She didn't look at any of them as she took a seat at the table, and her eyes didn't have the sparkle they usually did when she was working a case. Derek was concerned. Although he didn't call her out on it at the time, Derek did realize that Emily never answered his question about what the last 2 years were like for her when they were on the jet. He trusted Emily and didn't want to push her about something she so clearly didn't want to talk about. He just hoped that she trusted him enough to come to him when she was ready to talk.

Derek wasn't the only one who noticed something was off. JJ had been secretly watching Emily since the whole Sabrina situation was revealed. She knew that her friend had a tendency to shut away her emotions, especially when it came to her personal life, and wanted to make sure she was truly okay. JJ didn't know if it was the fact they had spent the last 2 years apart, but something about Emily seemed different. She was a lot more controlled with her words and actions, almost as if she was thinking out her every move beforehand. JJ decided right then that as soon as this case was over, she and Emily and Garcia were going to have a girls' night to end all girls' nights, and hoped that Emily would feel comfortable enough to talk to them then.

As soon as Aaron and Emily were settled, the team started to share what they discovered in the last few hours. Spencer and Derek confirmed with the medical examiner that the other victims were all killed from a broken neck, and they too showed signs of physical trauma - nothing sexual, however. JJ and Dave learned from the families that all of the women were last seen by their families before going out for drinks with their friends.

After discussing the case details further, the team had come up with a profile. They were looking for a white males in his late twenties to mid thirties - typical. Based on their profile, the unsub would be unassuming and friendly to most, and would most likely work a low-income job in the area. Captain Stowe gathered his officers for the BAU team to give their profile of the unsub in the main room of the station.

"And do NOT hesitate to give our profile to the press or other townspeople. We want as many people as possible to know what type of man we are looking for, because he will most likely falter under the increased surveillance and make a mistake," Sabrina told the officers at the conclusion of the profile. They nodded their heads in confirmation, and then were dismissed by Captain Stowe to get back to work.

"Captain, what are the hotspots in town for when people want to go out for drinks with friends?" Dave asked at the conclusion of the profile presentation. The town was pretty small and homely, so it didn't seem like there would be many options for bars. However, Rossi was about to be proven wrong.

"There's the Piggly Wig on the far side of town, Bullseye is on the side closest to our station, and then there's The Bar smack-dab in the middle," Captain Stowe responded. Rossi raised his eyebrows in surprise. Reid noticed the expression on his face and started to say, "Actually, it's not that uncommon for towns of this size to have multiple bars. In fact,-"

"That's okay, Reid. Morgan, Prentiss, and JJ, we're going into town to the bars and see if we can learn anything new. Dave, I want you and Reid to go to the latest victim's home and talk to their family to see if she did anything different from the other victims." Aaron designated responsibilities with his usual efficiency, and the team got ready to go. Morgan, Prentiss, JJ, and Hotch would take one car, while Reid and Rossi took another.

"See you soon, Aar," Sabrina grabbed Aaron' arm as he started to head outside. It was just Emily, Aaron, Sabrina, and Captain Stowe left in the main area. She wrapped her arms around his neck and gave him a deep kiss. Emily froze a few feet away, rooted to her spot. She saw Aaron stiffen at first, but then he relaxed and kissed her back.

"Feels like we're intruding, doesn't it," Captain Stowe nudged Emily's arm and joked. That was all she needed to start moving again. She shook her head and smiled politely at Captain Stowe, and then walked as fast she could to the conference room to grab her bag. She couldn't let herself think about what she just saw; she needed to get through this case first. But seriously, she couldn't believe that man was the same Aaron Hotchner she had worked with for the last 5 years. The old Aaron would've never let anyone see him be openly affectionate in public, much less while they were working a case.

She had just finished packing up when her phone started ringing. "Prentiss," Emily said distractedly as she was packing up.

"My sweet, sweet Emily, how are you?" Penelope's voice rang joyfully through the phone. Emily smiled. Only Garcia could cheer someone up by just saying hi.

"I'm good, Garcia. We're about to head back into town. What's up?" Emily asked. She could hear Penelope take a deep breath before speaking.

"I just wanted to call and see how you were holding up. I know you weren't expecting to get back into fieldwork right away, and I know you're just going to tell me you're fine when you probably aren't, so that's why I'm calling and I need you to tell me the truth, Emily Prentiss. Are you okay? Do you need me to come up with a bizarre but totally believable reason as to why I need you back in Quantico ASAP?" Penelope asked in a nervous rush. Penelope cared about all of the team members equally, but she felt a strong responsibility for Emily's wellbeing, especially since Penelope was the only one who knew the truth about Emily's last 2 years.

Emily felt a rush of emotions come over her as soon as Garcia finished speaking. In all honesty, Emily had been feeling really overwhelmed since she stepped foot into the office earlier that morning. She had been trying to distract herself with the case, but there was still too much time for her to become buried in her thoughts and memories.

Emily decided to be honest with Penelope. "I'm not great, but I'm not terrible either," she told Penelope in a small, shaky voice. Emily was the only one left in the conference room; everyone else had gone outside and was waiting for her in the car. "I'm trying though, Penelope. I really am."

"Well, that's the best that you can do, my honey bunches. I know you guys are about to leave again, so please please please call me when you have time tonight," Penelope said. Emily agreed and they hung up. It was perfect timing, actually, as Derek had just come back inside to see what was taking Emily so long. He came into the station right when the phone call ended, and saw a somber look on Emily's face through the glass windows. However, the look disappeared just as quickly as it came, as Emily grabbed her stuff and left the conference room.

"Everything good, Prentiss?" Derek asked with a concerned look on his face. Emily just smiled and nodded her head. "Yep, just wanted to call Garcia to see how Sergio was doing," she said as she walked past him. Derek laughed and they finally left the station to go investigate the town's 3 bars.