✧ Royal Hierarchy ✧

A brief guide to Nobility Titles for readers who, like me, get confused between Duke, Earl, and Viscount. It's not necessary if some of you can't remember it all at once. You can always return here for clarification whenever get stuck.

Emperor | Empress:
Highest rank of nobility.

King | Queen:
Highest Rank of Nobility in a kingdom. Entitled to rules and leads the entire kingdom and all of it's people.

Crown:
Most powerful and rich.
Gave land to nobles
Ruled society.
Allowed sherfs to work on the land to maintain himself and his households

Duke | Duchess:
Second highest rank in a kingdom. Used for ruler of provinces/states or large territories in a kingdom.

Marquess | Marchioness:
Usually used to support Dukes and rarely rules a land.

Earl/Count | Countess:

Ruler of cities and significant-sized territories in a state. Usually resides in the castle of their own.

Viscount| Viscountess:
Ruler of smaller portion of lands such as villages or town. May also refers to descendants of a count.

Baron | Baroness:
Mainly servants to higher rank of Nobility. May also refers to land ruler who also holds a higher royal rank.
_____________________________________________

Prince | Princess:
Used to address descendants of royal bloodline. But does not only applies to descendants of Kings.

Knight & Dame (addressed as sir):
Atitle given to those who have made impressive contributions to the kingdom; usually in Military

Rented lands from Barons in exchange for military service.
Protected the barons and his family.
Kept as much land as they wanted and distributed the rest to the peasants.
Became knights by inheriting it from their father or working their way up to knighthood.

Lord | Lady:
Titles used to address all nobleman in a manner of chivalry. Only King/Queen, Emperor/Empresses, and Prince/Princess who won't be addressed this way.

_____________________________________________

I've done my fair share of research on the subject, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but these statuses differ depending on the the Empire's monarchy or the Sovereignty reigns. Some hierarchies have Grand Dukes and Duchesses. As well as Grand Princes and Princesses.

So in those scenarios, the sequence would be like this.

Emperor| Empress

King | Queen

Grand Duke | Grand Duchess

*Note*
The status of Grand Duke| Grand Duchess is similar to that of King | Queen. The only difference being Grand Duke and Duchess rules Sovereign states whereas King and Queen rules over the Kingdom.

Grand Prince| Grand Princess

Archdukes | Archduchess
(

For sake of the simplicity of this story, there won't be anyone of this status.)

Duke | Duchess

Prince | Princess

Marquess | Marchioness

Earl/Count | Countess

Viscount| Viscountess

Baron | Baroness

Knight & Dame

Mark that the order of succession of nobility indicated in this book is not intended to imply the writer's any form of hatred or favouritism toward a specific Empire, Sovereign country, or Ruling era. It is solely intended for FICTIONAL PURPOSES ONLY.
_____________________________________________

A chart for better understanding. Taken from Pinterest.
_____________________________________________

Classification of territories based on the area of land or the monarchy ruling it.

Empire: an extensive group of states or countries under a single supreme authority, formerly especially an emperor or empress.

Kingdom: a country, state, or territory ruled by a king or queen.

Duchy: the territory of a duke or duchess; a dukedom.

Principality: a state ruled by a prince.

Enjoy the story!