1 | Coronation Day

CHAPTER 1 - CORONATION  DAY.

'Dear Diary,

The day is March 9th, 1291. It is fathers coronation day. I received this "journal" of sorts as a gift from one of my dear servants in the castle. I figure I shall tell you what my life's purpose is.

My name is Naphtali. I live within the walls of Kraghon Kingdom. Father says we are the most powerful of all. The other kingdoms call us Kraghonians. They don't quite like us.

I am the Prince of the kingdom, starting today. My father is getting crowned as the King of our kingdom. I'm not sure how I feel. The other boys in wizard training won't treat me quite the same. Everyone in the higher-ups of this kingdom has magic. My power is summoning. I can summon anything I want at will. I'm mostly used to bring people here. Father doesn't think I can get more powerful than I am. And Father is always right. I suppose I must tell you about my family. My Father is a nice man, everybody says. I wouldn't say that personally. But my opinion isn't respected in the Castle. It's Father this, Father that. My sister is treated more like royalty than I am around here. "Get me grapes!", she says, and grapes are what she gets. "Get me grapes!" I say, and a beating from my Father is what I get. It's not fair. But I suppose that's what my life is for.

Either way, my Father wants me to marry Eden. The daughter of a Marquis, someone my father wants to keep close. If we marry it will be loveless, and I don't think I could ever bring myself to make an heir.

They say that the higher-ups are the lucky ones. I don't know if that's true. Why live a life of such pain? I'd rather be a peasant. Working all day, not worrying about who they marry or what they wear or say. Why does everyone complain about work? My life is boring enough that I'd kill for anything interesting to happen. Like a dragon attack. Or a demon attack. It had been already 80 years, since the last attack on our Kingdom. A demon came. By the name of Beelzebub. He attacked our Kingdom with his dark magic. It sounds absurd, but they only sealed him away. They didn't kill him. He may break out. Maybe I'd like that.

I must get ready for the coronation now. I must admit that this surprisingly made me feel better. Maybe I'll write again.

Couple Hours Later

Naphtali stood by the railing of the balcony, watching his Father walk into the cathedral. Silence befell the people gathered as the Prince climbed up the stairs to the throne. The Head Priest turned to the priests around him that handed him the Crown. 

Made out of pure gold set with amethyst, the royal gem, it was a 700-year-old relic that every emperor would wear when crowned. Even at that age it still shone and reflected shards of purple around the cathedral. 

Gently it was placed on the Prince's head as the Head Priest blessed him. The now Emperor Eros rose from the ground as everyone bowed. 

"My loyal subjects, this day is the mark of my reign. As your emperor, I promise to care for my people and the empire till the day I die."

Naphtali looked around him as his father continued his speech. He saw his friend Faolan, his deep brown eyes were staring right back at him. After the ceremony, he tried to sneak over to his friend but was stopped by Eden.

Eden was fair-skinned, with curly black hair and piercing sharp olive eyes. She was a year younger than him yet still slightly taller than him. She was well-mannered and graceful.

"Isn't it the perfect weather for such a special day, your highness?" she smiled softly at Naphtali. He had to admit she was beautiful. Sadly he knew he could never see her in the way she wanted to.

"The weather is pleasant enough today. I have somewhere to be so I must excuse myself" he said coldly. 

Hurt flashed on her face quickly before she composed herself, "I understand, your highness. I hope to see you soon enough." 

Without another word he left. Naphtali told his guard that he would explore the cathedral, but in reality, he met Faolan, and they went to get food together. They sat down at an old, rusty, wooden table on another side of the town.

Faolan was dressed in his knight outfit, as a squire, he was yet to become a full-fledged knight but had to dress up for the coronation. Naphtali covered his extravagant outfit with a basic cloak to not reveal his identity.

"Not long until Eden becomes a princess. Isn't that right, Naphtali?" Faolan questioned. 

Naphtali couldn't bare to hear that question. He tried to respond, but the sounds of walking Golems spoke over his voice. ".. Yes. You would be correct." This topic made Naphtali shake with anger. "But what is the point to marry if you don't love? Eden isn't the one for me. Why must I marry someone who I hold no love for? Faolan, if I had the voice to speak my mind I would. And I would say it's wrong that boys can't marry.." Naphtali stopped. 

".. what?" Faolan asked, confused. He raised one eyebrow as he took a drink from his wooden cup. 

".. No, nothing." Naphtali finished the conversation by taking his hat and jacket off the chair. He walked home with no prior warning. He stomped, frustrated.

He came home to the sounds of his Father drinking like he had no tomorrow. Naphtali immediately went to his room. ".. DAMN IT!" He screamed. He doesn't understand why he feels this way. He looked outside the window, hoping his dear friend Faolan would be there, waiting for him. But he wasn't. Instead what he saw was..

-CRASH-

Thunder stroke down and hit a cart with horses. This was no unusual occurrence, as the weather here was usually harsh. They say it's the God of Thunder celebrating, except..

Another cart hit. And another. And a building. This thunder was no regular thunder. It was black. Dark. And it was more aggressive. It was almost like..

"THE PROPHECY IS TRUE!" Screamed a man from downstairs. "THE DEVIL HAS RETURNED TO KILL US ALL!" The sky turned dark. And then red. The cloud disappeared. It was a red void in the air. Naphtali looked outside his window, and he ran downstairs. "QUICKLY, BOY, THROUGH THE TUNNEL SYSTEM!" Naphtali ran behind his Father and sister. They ran, and ran, and ran. Naphtali looked behind to see who evacuated. Eden was there. Unfortunately. But there was no.. Faolan. Naphtali stopped running. He had to save him. He had to save his heart.

Naphtali ran back to the Kingdom, not listening to the orders his father was giving him. He stepped out of the Castle they escaped from, and he looked to see phoenixes, golems, and other species of animals destroying the very kingdom he loved. He wasn't going to bother saving everyone. Only Faolan. He ran towards the town centre, where he saw his friend. "FAOLAN! Faolan, are you okay?.. Your leg. It's broken. We can get someone with healing magic to save you. Here, I'll teleport you." Naphtali used his summoning magic to bring Faolan to his sister, who had healing magic. But.. Naphtali stayed behind. He was going to fight for his Kingdom. And he was going to do it right.