Chapter 22

He took a seat in front of me. I wanted to bolt. "Please don't leave.", his voice was sincere but held an apologetic tone.

"Why shouldn't I?", I had my things, all I had to do was walk out.

"Why do you hate me?", he was looking down into his lap and fidgeting with his fingers.

I sighed, "I do not hate you. You just make me uncomfortable." I didn't like the thought of a person hating another person. I couldn't most definitely stand his conclusion about me.

He looked up at me. It looked like he found hope in y words. "I really like you.", he blurted.

I cringed. He moved back. My reactions were affecting him too quickly and badly. So I toned down the expression of my discomfort and softly pointed out, "See."

"Yeah. Sorry.", he looked back down to his fingers. A waiter came by with wine and filled our glasses. I guess he must've asked for it before he sat down. I was looking at the red liquid in the glass and once the waiter left I picke up my glass and took a sip. The taste was so tantalizing, I bet this bottle cost a fortune. I hadn't notice Enzo looking at me. "Can I get a chance to try to change your mind?", he said in a rush.

"Fine. But if you creep me out now, I'm leaving.", the wine had found the goodness within me. He smiled.

"I feel like I should open up a business where people call me to creep other people out. Maybe I could take the boogie monster's job.", he said with that same smile on his face. Oh he made a joke.

"I think you would do a better job than him. But the only problem is you look too damn good for the job.", I said sipping my red like it my life depended on it. Did I just compliment his looks?

"Well that doesn't stop my creepster skills from creeping you out.", he said. His smile was fading. Aww. No, it shouldn't. He looked so cute with it. Now he is cute? Yes. Damn red. I giggled softly. I liked pissing the voices in my head off.

Enzo looked at me like I was a delicate piece of china. Maybe he was wondering what to say or thinking twice about what came out of his mouth. "I'm a different case.", I said with a smile and reached out to touch his hand for a few seconds before pulling it back to pick up a menu. Next time, I'm gonna have to remind you to eat before drinking. Can't you do anything by yourself? Shut up! You are too loud. Go away. I tried to switch to something a little serious. "Spoke to Ashley recently?", I winced when I saw his discomfort at the question. What is more serious than a psycho-ex out for blood?

"I met her after our afternoon in lock-up. I explained everything. She was hurt. Really hurt.", he said making eye contact. I think the red was helping him out too. Did he just say he spoke to her? Didn't he used to wear glasses?

"She hasn't spoken to me.", I said keeping my voice neutral as I checked him out. Enzo was in a white shirt and black trousers. He hadn't worn his glasses but instead sported greyish green contacts.

He didn't notice me and continued talking, "She said she was too ashamed to talk to you anymore. I think she needs time to come around." He took another sip and smiled at me. I felt myself smiling back. "I'm just glad I'm still alive after that talk.", he said and I could see his confidence coming forth. I laughed.

"She can go a little bit cray-cray.", I said and he laughed with me. We both knew that was an understatement.

"A little?" he said with a small smile.

"Hey that's my friend you are talking about.", I wagged my finger at him in mock sternness. "Don't make me remind you how you enjoy your fair share of crazy."

 Enzo groaned and I laughed. "Not that. Anything but that." He joined my laughter. "You are going to hold that over me forever aren't you?"

"Definitely maybe.", I said taking another sip. The waiter came and took both our orders. After he left a comfortable silence settled over the table. I didn't know what to say but Enzo helped me out there.