3

Their ears rung in a horrible high-pitched way, giving him a massive headache as they opened their eyes.

It was daylight now. Blinding, bright daylight.

He sighed through gritted teeth, rubbing their temples in an attempt to wake himself up. The back of their head was numb and pounding. He'd probably been there for a good few hours, or more. Their vision went colorful and blurry, adjusting to the forest setting once again.

One could call it a well-needed nap? 

If he'd been against the tree for (an assumed) 5-6 hours, that would mean they'd been in the forest for an entire day. Or would that be a day and a half? 

His mind was too numb to work properly.

With a sigh, they stretched out their arms, doing small circles with them, wincing under his mask as the stinging sensation began to settle in. It felt like fire ants were biting every muscle in his forearm and eating them from the inside out.

He did the same with their legs, sprawling out onto the forest floor and making snow-angel formations. 

This is so fucking stupid. What even hit me?

He vaugely remembered a raccoon.. and a tree.. then they saw colors and fucking died.

There had to be something else, right? Like- a raccoon cant kill you, or- or can it?  

He shuttered. 

When the pains and numbness began to fade away, they firmly planted their palms into the dirt and grass, lifting himself up, and resting his hood back on the tree, huffing out of exhaustion. Functioning properly in this state wasn't going to happen. 

They looked at their feet. He was covered in dirt, and some dusty red substance. 

Wait, what?

He leaned forward, inspecting the small flakes of... something that covered his torso. It smelled strange, dry, and moist all at the same time. It seemed Kwite was covered in flakes of dried blood.

They gagged, cheeks flushing green in disgust as he scrambled away from the flakes, however, they remained on their hoodie. At least it got him on their feet when he began to stand up, flicking and wiping the flakes off of himself. Eventually, they fell, and Kwite nearly vomited.

Why was he covered in blood? Were they bleeding when he passed out? 

Raccoons cant make you bleed, can they?

It must take years for blood to get that dusty and faded, They thought. No way!

He sighed, this was already not going well. 

They took a few easy steps forward, holding out their hands a few inches from his waist incase he fell. It was a bit wobble-y and messy, but he managed to go from the tree to a small rock formation by some bushes nearby.

They looked at the greenery,  gently moving their hand through the small leaves. He felt tiny berries and sharp needles prick at their fingertips.

Wait... berries!

He smiled under his masked face, picking a few of the unidentified berries out of the bush. They were a dull blue color, and they could fit about seven in the palm of their hand.

Blueberries, perhaps?

 He shrugged at his thoughts and pulled down their mask, putting a few in his mouth. As they chewed, the berries burst and a perfectly sweet juice coated his mouth.

Definitely blueberries.

At least they had something to munch on in the forest. He had been getting a tiny bit hungry. It'd been a day.. maybe a couple hours since they'd had a sustaining meal. For now, though, he could live with berries.

Smiling, they pocketed a few more and slowly got back on his trail deeper into the woods.

That's when... he spotted something.

Were those... footprints?

They squinted at them. They were rather big, about the size of a cutting board, and were rectangular in shape. Narrowing down at.. assumingly the heel.

Definitely the heel. The footprints started at the base of a tree, and lead through the plants and into the thicker patches of forest.

The same tree I was passed out against.

They took a deep breath.

He had two options. Stay here, or follow the footsteps, which could either leave him dead or give them a time-consuming adventure.

Well, if it saw me passed out, and didn't kill me then, why would it kill me now?

Kwite turned and grabbed a few more blueberries, and chased after the prints in the dirt.