chapter 5: Ear Rubs and Exclusive Rights

Judy let her eyes wonder around the rustic-themed room, with the furniture and picture frames made from pinewood logs and branches. Nick had left her on the couch—which had been set a few feet from the wall, creating a walkway behind it that led deeper into the house—to bring in the stuff he'd bought her, as well as the fruits and vegetables that were still in the truck from when she'd highjacked it that morning.

She hadn't seen anything of the room when Nick had first brought her inside, as she'd been too focused on him. But now she took the time to really see the place. A fireplace with a stone mantel stood against the wall opposite her, with several trophies sitting atop it and a large flat screen tv hanging on the wall above it. Against the wall to her left sat a smaller love seat, and the wall on the right held the room's window looking out onto the front yard. A small square table sat in the corner closest to the door and a thick, padded chair sat in the opposite corner.
A

thick, braided rug covered the hardwood floor under her feet and a long, oak coffee table sat in front of her. A couple of coasters and a magazine about flowers and songbirds sat upon it, along with the tv remote. Thick cushions lined the two pine-log couches, and she wiggled into the one she sat upon before leaning back. She couldn't keep the sigh of contentment from escaping her—this couch was a piece of heaven!
"Are we comfortable enough?" Nick asked as he walked back inside the house. Taking his spoils into the kitchen, he left the fruits and veggies on the counter, then brought Judy the plastic bags full of all her new stuff. She'd already gone through most of the clothes, but she hadn't yet gone through the sack from the convenience store.

Reaching into the top, he pulled out the new phone charger and waved it in front of her face. "Were you missing this?"

"Nick!" Judy exclaimed as she grabbed it out of his hands. "Am I glad you bought this! I forgot to charge my phone last night and it was dead by the time I arrived at the hospital. My parents must be freaking out by now!"
"When was the last time you talked to them?" Taking the charger from her, he held his paw out for her phone.
"This morning when I asked for the truck keys. That's when I figured out what the Nighthowlers were." Handing the phone over, she watched Nick plug it into the wall next to the couch and set it on the end table.
Nick nodded, saying, "Well, after it's charged a few minutes, you can call them and let them know you're still alive."
"I am not looking forward to that conversation. They freak out over every little thing." Running her paws down her face, she muttered, "They were happy I was just a meter maid. My dad was even doing a little victory dance and chanting, 'Meter maid. Meter maid.' Ugg."
"Ooh, that's rough."
"Tell me about it," she muttered. "And if I don't answer right away, they just keep calling. I probably have about a hundred missed calls and texts by now." Flopping back on the couch, she groaned. "They'll probably have a heart attack when they find out I needed stitches."
Nick crouched down in front of Judy and watched her a moment with sympathy. Reaching over, he lightly scratched the fur between her ears and then ran his fingers up one of them.
She hummed in contentment as her eyes shut, and she relaxed further into the couch cushions. "You keep this up, Slick, and I'll fall asleep."
Bringing his other paw up to caress her other ear, he spoke softly, "Isn't that a good thing? It's been a long day and you were injured. Sleep is just what the doctor ordered."
"Hmm," she murmured. Nick's paws on her ears should be illegal. His larger paws and longer, bigger fingers with his slightly rough paw pads, allowed him to stimulate more of her ears at one time. And he knew just the right amount of pressure to use, making her hum in utter bliss. Who knew she could get such pleasure from such a simple caress?
"You know, Nick," Judy murmured as the tension continued to slip from her body, making her a limp noodle in his paws, "I'm never going to be satisfied again with another bunny rubbing my ears."