Chapter 12

Jekyll eventually collected himself, standing and walking to the door. He gently creaked it open, stepping out into the hall and glancing around.

Clerval came slowly walking down the hall, humming, holding a wicker basket of laundry on his hip.

Jekyll shrunk back, Clerval had already seen him. Jekyll thought frantically about what to do and how to explain himself, but Clerval cut him off as he was just about to speak.

"Did Victor walk out on you without explaining anything?"

"O-Oh uh yes, my sincerest apologies I'm- I'm not trying to rob you or anything, you seem like quite the respectable young man. I am just... quite lost."

"Hyde explained things to me, don't worry too hard about it-! You two are kinda staying here with us for the time being- until we can figure something out at least." He laughed softly. "Its a strange story- but Mr. Hyde broke into our house while he was running from the police- or so he says. And he kinda had to stay because he learned something he wasn't really supposed to- and I mean- while I wouldn't hesitate to kill and die for Vic if he asked me- we didn't really think murder was the best way to fix that situation- so we just kinda decided to keep him around-!

"He can be a tad rude though- has he always been the kind to bite the hands that feed him-? Victor houses the guy and all he does is insult him, kinda rude don't you think-?"

"W-Well, don't mention I said it, but yes he can be quite... ungrateful and entitled. A-Also did you say you'd kill for Victor-?" Jeykll looked at the other ginger, confused and concerned.

"I mean yeah-! Wouldn't you do the same thing for the person you hold dearest-?"

"I uh... don't really have any relationships of that caliber and dedication..."

"Hm, well then just forget i mentioned it- but ah- I haven't even told you who me or Victor are have I-?"

"No, but it's not really any big deal!" Jekyll put his hands up, bashful and mildly defensive, "It's your home! I'm the guest, I shouldn't demand you answer anything!"

Clerval laughed softly again, "You know you might be too nice for your own good- Mr- uh-?"

"O-Oh- my name is Henry Jekyll-! Doctor Henry Jekyll, though I can't imagine I deserve the title of doctor anymore."

"Well I'll be-! I'm Henry Clerval-! Not-Doctor Henry Clerval-!" he paused to laugh at his own joke, "I know Henry isn't an uncommon name- but it's still strange for two Henrys to be sharing a house-"

"Well, I mean, to clear confusion I can just go by Jekyll. It'd likely be quite obtrusive for you to change your name for my sake, especially since you seem quite close to the homeowner. Not to mention I tend to prefer being called by my last name anyways."

"Well that works out-! I like being called Clerval over Henry anyways too-! Are you sure we aren't somehow related-? We're both ginger Henrys who go by their last names-!" He grinned warmly.

"Oh- well unless my mother remarried, but I haven't seen her since I was a teen, not to mention my father... F-Forget I said anything-! My point is anyways, I don't think I'd have any surprise siblings-! Maybe a long lost cousin, perhaps."

Clerval smiled again, "Hehe, probably not, but it'd be awfully funny wouldn't it be-? But ah- I forget myself-!

"Victor- that's what we were talking about- Victor, as genius as he is, isn't always the most adept with social situations- so when he feels like he cant help or is talking to someone whos being very emotional- sometimes he'll just walk off- sorry if he did that with you, he's just always been like that-