Chapter 18

We continue to sneak our way around the city, before stopping behind some short walls. Thomas and Gally hide behind one of the walls as Minho, Newt and I rush over to one next to them. Newt throws his back against the wall, trying desperately to catch his breath and coughing as he does so.

The soaked W.C.K.D. soldier jacket is just weighing me down, so I take it off and toss it to the side--revealing my white shirt and mellow orange jacket. I sit beside Newt, cupping his face as I look at him. His coughing gets worse and he's losing the color of his skin even more. The veins are beginning to spread even more up his face.

I unzip his jacket as Minho kneels down beside me. "Newt, how're you feeling?"

The blonde groans as he takes off his gloves. "Terrible." Somehow, he musters up his usual bright smile and looks at Minho. "It's good to see you though."

"Yeah man," I agree. "We've really missed you."

Minho gives us both a smile before making his way over to Thomas and talking to him. I return my attention back to Newt as he leans his head back, clearly in pain.

"We're almost out of here, Newt," I whisper, fighting the tears that are forming in my eyes. I'm not losing him. I can't.

"Clementine," the boy gets out. "I love you so much."

I smile as I cup his left cheek, "I love you too, Newt." I close the gap between us and kiss him. "We're going to be okay."

Thomas walks over and looks at the two of us. "Newt, come on man. We gotta get you up."

The blonde holds his hands out to the two of us as we pull him up onto his feet. He instantly stumbles and Thomas has to pick him upright. I feel like a piece of my heart chips away every time I notice how much worse he's getting, and it makes me feel terrible. My heart has been so heavy for the past few hours and the feeling will not go away.

Minho and Thomas pick Newt up, slinging his arms over their necks as they move in a light jog. Gally and I lead the three boys as I pull my pistol out from my holster and move with it. We make some good distance, before a loud boom stops us in our tracks.

Our eyes dart towards the gate of the city, watching as a big explosion arises from the area. Fire and debris fly everywhere. The whole wall crumbles down and the fire fades away.

"We were supposed to take down W.C.K.D.," Gally blurts out. "Not the whole city."

"Looks like Lawrence had other plans," I mumble. I pat the boy on the shoulder before moving along. "Come on, we gotta go."

Gally leads the way as we all follow. Eventually, we make it to a street near the entrance of the city. Tons of W.C.K.D. soldiers and vehicles are parked at the end of the street as they just sit there, awaiting approval to fire.

"Get low," I tell the trio behind me.

We duck behind a wall as I sit between Minho and Newt. The blonde just looks so much worse than he did before, and he starts to cough rapidly. He looks so drained.

"Newt, hey- hey. Look at me," I tell the boy in the calmest voice I can muster up. His chocolate eyes meet mine, and yet again, I feel a piece of my heart chip away. "You're gonna be okay. We're almost there, okay? The tunnels are just a bit from here."

"I love you, Clem," he exhales. 

"I love you too."

Suddenly, a big explosion hits the street near us as people start charging at the W.C.K.D. soldiers. More and more explosions go off as the two groups go to war. I peak around the corner, witnessing the chaos unfold. Somehow, I feel the hope diminish from inside me.