A Beltane To Remember

Celaena slid her foot into her boot, straightened her shirt and tossed her braid behind her shoulder. She took a quick look in the mirror, and shifted into he fae form. Might as well do it now, before she went up there. It was Beltane, but she doubted that Rowan would let her off training even today. She was to meet him by the clearing the festivities were to be held, that's all he had said to her before he left.

She left the fortress and went past the wardstones that shielded Mistward from any threat. It wasn't hard to find the clearing, as it was already bustling with life, music and constant chatter. Three fires had already been lit, the one in the middle was build high wile two smaller ones were at either sides. For whoever wanted to brave the fires and jump over them.

She found Rowan quickly enough, and strode over to him. He stood with his back to her, and didn't turn when she approached. "So, what do you have in store for me today." She drawled, and gave him a half grin. He turned with a raised eyebrow, and she blinked when she noticed he was holding a goblet.

"Hold this." Was all he said, and handed her the goblet. Immediately after she grabbed it, he stepped around her and began to fiddle with her braid. She felt him tug loose the ribbon, and then he dragged his fingers through her hair until the braid was completely undone. She turned and gave him a questioning look. "We won't train today. You've done well this past week, and I figured one day with no training wouldn't hurt."

"No training at all, are you sure?" She couldn't quite believe those words had come from his mouth.

"Yes, Princess. Now go celebrate before I change my mind." He said in his usual curtly manner, but was there a slight twinkle in his eye, a twitch at the corner of his lip?

"Well then. You never cease to surprise me Prince. Will you initiate this celebration by being my first dance partner?" The question was out before she knew it, and she had no idea why she had asked. She knew he would say...

"No." His face tensed just a bit, but she noticed. It had been foolish to ask anyway.

She gave a swaggering smile to hide the slight hurt at the rejection. "Ah well, there are many eligible males to choose from anyway." She spun around and began striding towards the buffet table, still holding the goblet he had given her. She felt his eyes boring into her, and made sure to add some sway to her hips, a discreet elegant movement.

Celaena placed the goblet on the table, and set about tasting all the different kinds of food and desserts. She was munching on a piece of chocolate cake and tapping her foot to the music when she sensed someone approach her. She quickly wiped away any frosting around her mouth and smiled at the male.

He was tall, not as tall as Rowan though, and less muscular than Rowan too. But he did have a handsome face, sparkling amber eyes and long, ashen hair. A pair of pointy ears peaking out from under his hair. He sketched an elegant bow.

"It would be an honor if a beauty such as you would dance with me, my lady." His voice was silky, and his gaze never wavered from hers as he extended an arm towards her. Celaena was keenly aware of Rowan watching from across the field, stone faced, arms crossed and leaning against a tree.

She took his extended hand and smiled sweetly. "It will be my pleasure." she cooed, loud enough for Rowan to hear.

The male lead her through the dance, whisking her around the clearing in perfect beat to the music filling her ears. The male spun her around, his firm, strong hand warming the lower part of her back. It was good, it was fun and she was smiling widely when the male dipped her low at the end of the song. She thanked the male for the dance, and headed back to the buffet table. She was hot and breathless from the dance and needed a cold drink to cool herself.