↝ chapter fourteen

war machine - kiss
15 | discussion

the room was silent. after maude had explained her story, her encounter with eddie and everything that had happened since, no one knew exactly what to do or say. no reaction felt right.

"how is that possible?" steve broke the silence.

mike had been pacing the couch behind eleven, will and joyce, but he froze and spun to face the group before him, his arms motioning towards eleven. "if el can bring max back from the dead, then there's no doubt in my mind that vecna has that ability too."

maude almost gasped. max mayfield had died?! back from the dead?!

"but what would vecna want with eddie— enough to revive him? this boy had no gifts, did he?" joyce questioned.

"no, he was normal, like us." robin answered.

"eddie said that vecna had a plan for him," maude spoke, receiving all the attention once again. she would never get used to it— would never grow fond of it, either. "before he disappeared, he was acting a little strange... paranoid, perhaps. he kept mentioning vecna, and how his fate had caught up to him— that vecna was summoning him."

more silence. no one really knew what to say. this was new territory. maude continued. "i—we need to help him."

"but we don't know how to help him, or what vecna has done to him." nancy tried to reason. to maude, it sounded like give up and go home, there's nothing you can do to help him. she wouldn't stand for that.

"then we've got to figure that out!" her voice rose suddenly, and it was an effort to hold back her tears. "he deserves to be saved after everything he sacrificed!"

"you're right," steve nodded, his eyes falling on maude. "if he's in trouble, we'll figure out a way to help him."

"i might be able to listen in, to see if i can feel anything." will suddenly spoke up. he'd been sitting aloof on the couch, eyes boring into his shoes.

maude's head tilted, and when will looked at her and noticed his confusion, he brought his hand around to the back of his neck. "i'm connected to him— he possessed my body once, i was like his spy... maybe i can try to channel that again."

"it is too dangerous, will!" eleven darted around on the couch to face him, her eyes warning.

he frowned. "i haven't stopped feeling him since all four gates connected— maybe if i concentrate hard enough, i'll be able to get something that could help us." his eyes scanned the room, then landed on his mother, who watching him with sad attentiveness.

she gave him a small nod. "we trust you, will. if you think you can do something— hear or feel something, then you do it."

eleven placed her hand on will's arm, and she gave him a small nod. "i can try too— i can channel eddie."

"don't you need something of his?" jim hopper butted in, his voice flat and unconfident.

maude pointed behind her shoulder. "i have his van, with some of his belongings."

eleven looked over at maude. "take me to it."