happier

18 months later

Cassie woke to the signature smell of her grandmothers pancakes. She quickly jumped out of bed and went to the kitchen to take one for herself. She reached out for one, when her grandmother gently slapped her hand away.

"ah,ah,ah" Her grandmother waggled her finger. "Get ready for school, then pancakes."

Cassie sighed, but walked to room to get dressed. she caught sight of the box. Her heart tightened but not nearly as much as it used to, and that's when she decided today would be the day. After Cassie was finally ready for school, she sat eagerly at the table, behind a vase of Justin's latest roses. Cassie kept every one of them until the were brown and wilted. When her grandmother set down a heart shaped pancake, Cassie remembered it was Valentines day. Justin will give her a bouquet of tulips and blossoms along with a box of chocolates and ask her out on date to a famous café called "La Croissant" just like every year for the past 3 years and every year for the past 3 years she had said no, but she realised now. She loved justin. She loved the he always stuck by her, and the way he cared for her, and she cared for him. Yes. Today was a special day for Cassie Williams.

Cassie opened the door, nervous about what was about the happen. justin, as expected held out a bouquet of blue hydrangea and a heart shaped box of chocolates. he cleared his throat after she took them, blushing.

"Dear Cassie Williams, love of my life, ever since I first saw you I knew we were destined to be together, and so, to start that destiny, I ask that you please accompany me the the famed café "La Croissant" to begin our love story." he took a bow. it was the same speech he said every year, but it felt different. usually cassie would have laughed at such theatrics, and tell him to stop wasting his money on her. then he would sigh, but was usually unhurt as he always believed she would come around eventually. cassie took a deep breath. 

"yes"

justin looked as if she had just told him she was a fairy.

"excuse me?"

"I said yes, I would love to go to "La Croissant" with you, but if you don't want me to....."

"oh! no, I do want to, I'm just... surprised. you really mean it?"

cassie rolled her eyes. "yes I mean it, now lets go to school before I change my mind."

the two smiled at each other. happy to finally be... happy.

6 hours later

cassie arrived home from school full of energy, until she went to her room, and remembered her promise to herself. she sighed. "today is the day." she muttered under her breath. she grabbed the box and sat on her bed. she breathed in deeply and opened the box. 

the first thing inside was her mothers favourite scarf. cassie hugged it to her chest and breathed deeply. it still smelled like her. next was her mother's perfume that used on special occasions, like dinners with possible investors for her father's company. after that was a few other pieces of clothing. a floral patterned dress, a thin shawl, and a floppy sun hat. then there was a few photographs that were mostly of cassie, but a few were of her mother. young and free, before she met her father. then there was something cassie had never seen before. a small red velvet covered book. cassie flipped it open and a few thousand dollars fell out, one 50 dollar note between every page. cassie assumed it was so her father didn't notice anything. cassie read a few words. it was the classic story of the little princess. she flipped to the end of the book, where there was a page covered in her mother's handwriting. cassie breathed in sharply and began to read.

Dearest Cassie,

hopefully don't receive this book until you are old, because if you have it, it means I have passed from this world. there should be  about 5000 dollars in this book. if you are young, I hope you put it towards college. if you are older, maybe a car, or some things for your children.  I hope you haven't missed me to much, and I hope we have escaped your father already by the time i leave this world, but if not use the money to get to your grandmother's place. she will keep you safe. she knows about your father, and she and I have been planning running away for awhile now. i just need you to know that I am sorry for keeping you in that horrible environment for so long. at the time i am writing this you are 15 years of age, nearly 16 and you are already a beautiful, strong independent woman, and I am proud to call myself your mother. 

but most of all, I just want you know that I love you so much. with every part of heart. Have a beautiful life baby. mama has always loved you.

love, mum.

Cassie looked up and realised she was crying. she took the money out to her grandmother and asked her to put it in her college fund. her grandmother smiled at her sadly. 

"so you found it did you honey? are you alright?"

cassie wiped the tears from her eyes remembering her mother's beautiful words.

"yes grandma, I'm okay."