Part One

Edited by Vapid_Ink

Part One

"Sh!t," I say glancing at the clock. I'm running late.

Tonight my sister has set me up on a blind date with one of Mike's – her husband – friends.

She thinks that I need to get out more, since my recent break-up with my ex, Ben. Okay so it wasn't very recent, it was two years ago actually, but to be honest I'm not bothered by my single status. I'm not one of those women that needs a boyfriend to make her happy; in fact I enjoy being single, it gives me more time to focus on my career as a forensic accountant.

But here I stand in my curve hugging, little black dress with my straight chestnut colored hair slicked back into a neat ponytail, just to make my sister happy. She didn't give me many details on my date for the night other than that he is'hot' – her words -and a business man, although she didn't tell me what kind of business he worked in.

We are supposed to meet and have dinner at some classy restaurant uptown.

If I'm being completely honest I'm not looking forward to tonight. I mean, who wants to sit and have dinner with a complete stranger for two hours, and make awkward small talk? Yeah, not me.

Sighing as I grabbed my coat and purse, I make my way out the door; the cool night air biting at my skin, causing me to shiver and pull my coat tighter around myself. The restaurant is within walking distance from my apartment building, so I decide to save myself the money and just walk. The streets are slightly wet from the rain that fell yesterday, which makes me extra careful so I will not slip in my heels and break my neck.

As I round the corner, I bump into a solid chest, making me stumble back. Before I can regain my footing, I feel myself fall backwards, and land directly in a puddle.

Great. Just Great.

The man comes rushing forward, to help me up.

"Shit, I am so sorry. Are you okay? You're not hurt are you?" he asks worriedly.

Standing up and dusting myself off I say, "No I'm fi-" I cut myself off.

Looking up I see the most brilliant pair of green eyes that I have ever seen, making my words die in my throat. The handsome stranger has black hair that hangs ever so slightly over his eyes and a strong jaw with some light stubble. Looking at him he couldn't be any older than twenty-five.

Snapping out of my little moment, I realise that I have been checking him out. Judging by his smirk he noticed it too. A slight breeze passes by, causing me to shiver and remember that I'm wet.

"Oh crap, you must be freezing, here," he says, handing me his jacket.

"Thanks," I reply.

For a minute we stand there just staring at each other, before the man rubs the back of his neck and asks, "So where are you headed? Maybe I could give you a ride, my bike's just over there," he says, pointing to a shiny black motorcycle.

"I was actually headed out for a date, but since I'm pretty much soaked, I guess I'll just head home," I say, about to turn away and walk back home, before he speaks up.

"Damn, now I feel really bad. Tell you what, how about you let me buy you dinner? Don't worry, we don't have to go anywhere fancy if you don't want to,'' he offers.

I stand there, thinking about his offer, for a minute. I mean, should I just go with this random stranger – albeit, a handsome one – who could possibly turn out to be some psycho?

"I don't know. I mean, you kinda look like you're headed somewhere," I say, gesturing towards his button down shirt and dark jeans.

"Yeah, actually I was on my way to a date as well, but I think I owe you one for ruining your night," he replies.

"No, it's okay. Really, just go, I don't mind," I argue, finding his offer sweet.

"No, I insist. So, what do you say? Want to ditch our dates and have dinner?" he grins.

Looking at his smile, I can't say no. "Alright," I answer.

"Great, I think I know the perfect place," he says, once again shooting me a breathtaking smile.

Walking over to his bike, he swings a leg over it and tosses me a helmet. "Get on," he instructs. After putting on the helmet I hesitantly swing my leg over and grip the man's waist.

"I didn't get your name. I'm Nathan, by the way," he says, turning back to look at me.

"Chloe," I reply, making him smile.

"Well, Chloe, hold on tight,'' he says, shooting me a wink before starting the engine and speeding off with me.

****

Thanks for reading everyone! Don't forget to comment & vote!