Final

Disclaimer: I do not own Demon Slayer or any of its characters. All copyright belongs to their rightful owners.

I've had this idea for a while now and finally got around to getting it down on paper. It's meant to take place after the end of the manga, and also contains spoilers including references to a certain character's death. So, if you haven't read the manga, I would advise reading something else in the meantime. Hope the rest of you enjoy ^^

"It's raining again," Tanjirou observed through the open shoji. There was a gentle mix of pattering droplets cascading down the grass or sinking into the soft dirt below. Some clapped against the pond's surface or trickled down the bamboo shishi-odoshi at the water's edge. He enjoyed the rain more than just the sounds though. Everything he smelled grew stronger, more pronounced, and more defined. He grew entranced and calm as if nothing could ever ruin this peace.

And for a moment, he felt like he could breathe.

No demons could reach him here. Not like this. Not that any of them would anymore. No, this rain was the same as it should have been. But, sometimes he remembered the struggles he went through. Mud gripping his feet and the water smacking him in his face. The blade poised in his hands as he ran through the forest, training for his initiation into the Demon Slayer Corps. And after that, when that rain would mix with the blood that came from hacking down any demons that he crossed.

To think, all of that life was over.

Calloused hands combed through his hair, gently working through the knots and tangles. His movements were firm and familiar in a sense that Tanjirou couldn't help but feel nostalgic.

"So it is," Giyuu mumbled behind him. Tanjirou closed his eyes and meditated. His back stiffened for a short moment as the metal blade slid close to his neck. A deep breath resonated through his lungs as Giyuu fell into a steady rhythm. Tanjirou recalled a similar sound from long ago, and a smile came to him as he opened his eyes.

The sky had darkened as the storm rolled in. The flicker of the candlestick left dancing shadows along the walls and cast them all along the floorboards. The only difference between now and back then was Nezuko's figure lying in the corner.

"You cut the same way that Urokodaki cuts hair," he mused. Giyuu paused for a moment before resuming his snips.

"It makes sense. He was the one who taught me how. I used to cut Sabito's hair as practice. And in recent years, Sanemi comes over once every month for me to trim his," he stated.

"How come you never cut your own hair? It's always so long," Tanjirou asked. Giyuu pondered the question for a moment before he shrugged.

"...I suppose it's because I can't see my own head," he answered.

"You can't use a mirror?"

"I feel like I get more judgmental of my own image. Besides, I just tie everything back. It doesn't bother me much regardless of how long I let it grow."

"But, it's not down to your butt," Tanjirou mused. "Someone has to help you cut it, right?"

"... Shinobu used to."

"Oh."

A moment of silence passed. Though the memories of the girl were long ago and full of joy, the wounds remained fresh as the moment they found out the Insect Hashira had been killed. Her sacrifice against Douma was great, but nothing could ever replace how much she meant to either of them.

Nothing needed to be said to convey how much either of them missed her.

"Hey, Giyuu?"

"Yes? What is it, Tanjirou?"

"Thank you for doing this."

"It's just a haircut," Giyuu muttered, but the corners of his lips perked up. He knew what the other meant. At least, they both were still here and had each other.

"Next time, I'll help cut your hair," Tanjirou declared.

"...Alright. I think I'd like that."