The goodwill games

Lyla Mitchell's POV

It was a nice, cool Monday morning in my families garden in Edina, Minnesota. Our garden was flourishing, and was bursting with any kinds of greens and plants you could imagine. We grew everything from vegetables, and fruits, all the way to succulents, cactuses, and flowers. Our garden was one of the best in Edina, and we took pride in our luscious jungle of plants. Gardening was one of my favourite hobbies to take part in, and it was a way for me and my mother to bond together. We enjoyed basking in the nice hot sun while getting our hands dirty in the cool, grainy dirt.

While I was planting some new dahlia's that I got from the farmers market, I could sense a figure behind me. I turned around and gazed up to see Adam, my best friend, standing behind me with a smile on his face. I couldn't help but smile too, and stood up, now squinting a bit by the sun in my eyes.

"What's up banksie?" I say as I bend back down to continue planting my flowers.

"Those are pretty ones, huh? Let me guess, there dahlia's?" He said, pointing to my flowers, aware of my hobby for gardening.

"Ding, ding, ding!" I say while I finished patting down on the rich soil with my gardening gloves. I then stood back up and grabbed Adam's hand, taking him by surprise. I dragged Adam with me to the front of my garage and grabbed my stick, gloves, and roller skates as Adam looked at me with confusion.

"Come on, Adam! Let's go play some hockey! Can we go to your driveway, though? It's like, ten times bigger than mine." I say as I see Adam's face light up. I knew he would never back down from being able to play hockey. He loved it. I loved it too. That's how we bonded, by playing hockey anywhere and everywhere we could.

We ran across my neighbours lawn, which had permanent foot marks in the soft green grass, produced by me and Adam. My neighbours never minded, though. They were hardly around to see their house. To busy with work trips and parties.

We got to Adam's driveway and he ran in, grabbing his gear too as I sat down to put on my skates. Adam's house was huge, it was the size of two of my houses, plus two of my neighbours. He was fortunate enough to be born in a rich household, and I envied him for that. But I wasn't the one to be jealous and hold grudges, so I quickly got on my skates as Adam walked out with his on, too.

"Ready to get beat up?" I sneered as Adam rolled his eyes playfully. Since summer break, he seemed to hit puberty or something, because he was... good looking, to say the least. His hair was parted in the centre, and his piercing blue eyes were the most beautiful of blues. But, Even though he was attractive, I've always thought about us as siblings, so I quickly shooed the thought away and grabbed my stick.

All of a sudden, Adam quickly swooped in a grabbed the ball, heading to the net. He commentated as he went, causing me to laugh and follow him.

"He's comin across the goalie, between his legs— score!" He says as he puts up his hands in celebration. I chuckled and took my chance by swooping in a stealing the puck away, causing him to re route his attention to me.

"Ooo nasty steal by Mitchell! She's nearing the net, dekes out the goalie with ease! She shoots, she scores! Top corner!" I commentate with laughter as Adam laughed too. Suddenly, in the distance, I heard a familiar call. The duck call.

——*•+..+•*——

Charlie Conway's POV

Coach put me in charge of rounding up our team, the Minnesota ducks. Ever since we have won the championship last year, every one has gotten closer, many friendships formed, and some I was a little less happy to hear about then others. Turns out, dumb Lyla Mitchell became friends with literally everyone on the team. I mean, did they forget that she was once our sworn enemy, a hawk? Me and Lyla still fought, and our rivalry felt like a never ending rollercoaster. I managed to convince myself that my feelings I had at the final games last year against the hawks were only out of pity and niceness, because in truth, they were. Since then I've hardly even talked to her, I even forgot what she looked like to be honest.