Spooky Time

It was just a week until Halloween. The entire school was decked out in orange, purple, black and all sorts of spooky stuff. The Detective Club room was also nicely decorated thanks to Kuki and Yanfei. There were plastic pumpkins with funny faces carved into them, grave stones and a black coffin that Xiao had made his new napping place. Since you guys hadn't had a case to investigate for a couple days, you just goofed around during club time. This particular day, Xiao was fast asleep in the coffin while you, Yanfei, Kuki and Kazuha were playing Uno.

"Uno!" Kazuha announced.

"How the hell do you have Uno already?!" Kuki questioned.

Yanfei squinted her eyes and looked cautiously at the platinum haired boy."You have to be cheating..."

It was your turn next. You slammed down a plus four card. "Kazuha, pick four cards." You began laughing maniacally as Kazuha solemnly picked up four cards from the deck.

Just then, Heizou stepped in, he looked excited.

"WE HAVE A CASE EVERYONE~." He shouted.

You smiled but let out a groan. "Can it wait until after Uno?"

Xiao had been woken up from his nap and looked grumpy. "Can it wait until after my nap?..."

"No and no." Heizou responded. "Why're you so sleepy lately anyways?"

"My friend Sayu said it was a good way to grow taller." He responded. Makes sense that he wanted to grow a bit.

You left what you were doing and sat at the table while Heizou stood looking excited.

"He looks like a real leader. And a passionate one at that." You thought.

"We've been asked by an anonymous person to go investigate an abandoned building in the woods. Fun, right?" Heizou said.

Kuki was extremely skeptical. "Doesn't that sound suspicious to you? I don't trust that at all."

Meanwhile, all you could think about was the classic romcom trope of you getting scared and jumping into Heizou's arms.

"I think it's a great idea hehe..." You said absentmindedly, still stuck in your fantasy.

"I agree with Kuki. This doesn't sound good." Yanfei said as she turned to Heizou. "You should reconsider this."

"Oh cmon guys, of course I know this is suspicious. That's just more of a reason to investigate it. Besides if anything goes wrong us boys will protect you." Heizou promised as he winked. It made you cringe slightly, but in a funny way.

"I agree." Said Kazuha.

"Oh, sure..." Muttered Xiao, who obviously just wanted to continue sleeping.

"Why do I get the feeling I'm going to be doing most of the protecting?..." Kuki released under her breath.

"Alright then it's settled, we'll head to the creepy abandoned mansion later! Be excited gang~." Heizou exclaimed.

In the woods...

You were all following a long path that led you through the woods. Despite it still being pretty early it was very dark underneath the thick forest growth. Thankfully you all had brought flashlights. You had carefully made your way through the overgrown twisted woods and eventually you spotted the large brick mansion. It was overgrown with vines and moss. You looked through the windows and saw that the lights were on somehow.