After The Christmas Party

Andre's Christmas song was a huge success with the party guests. An encore ensued and the performers were even better than before. But, after that, the party resumed its normal pace.

Jade pulled Cat away and led her upstairs. Tori noticed but was called away to talk to a couple of aunts.

Upstairs, Jade explained what she wanted to do. Cat blushed, her face nearly as red as her dyed hair but nodded happily then asked, "Hey, do you still have that red thingie you made in grade school? It'd be a lot easier than using ribbons – especially since you'll have to do it yourself."

Staring for a moment at the girl with the red velvet cake hair, Jade was awed by how Cat could come up with such insights. So many times, the girl was more airhead than anything. She nodded at Cat's suggestion, "That's brilliant, Kitty Cat."

The red head beamed and clapped happily.

"Now, how 'bout the bow?" Jade asked.

Later, Cat came down and found Tori. "He-ey Tori!"

"Hey Cat." She glanced around. "Where's Jade?"

"She's upstairs. She wants you to come up."

"Okay. I'll go up in a minute."

"No, she said 'NOW!'" Then Cat laughed.

"Okay, I'm going…"

Upstairs, Tori checked Jade's room then went through the connecting bathroom to her room. "Jade?"

"Correct." Came the familiarly snide remark from Tori's bed.

"Why are you in the dark?"

"Decompressing."

"Oh. Should I leave?"

"Come over here, Vega."

"Is everything alright?"

"Yeah. I needed some help from Cat. Then I just thought I'd take a break from the crowds."

"Are you coming back down?"

"Yes. But I want to give you this," Jade said as she turned on the low-wattage light next to the bed she was lying on. She sat up, swinging her legs down to the floor. "Sit with me?"

"Any time, Jade," Tori said with a smile.

"Here," Jade said as she reached under the pillow and pulled out a small package, handing it to Tori. It was wrapped in dark red and green paper with a small maroon ribbon.

"Jade, I know you're not much for gift-giving," Tori said in a choked voice. In truth, she hadn't expected anything more than maybe a can of soda or something, knowing her girlfriend's penchant for poor gift-giving. If she even gave a gift.

"I'm trying to change, Vega," Jade responded, her brow furrowed. "You gonna open it?"

Tori tore the paper off exposing a small jewelry case. Opening it, she saw an elongated, faceted green crystal on a silver chain. In a quiet voice, Tori said, "Jade…"

"Do you like it?" Jade asked in a nervous tone.

"I love it!"

"This way, you'll always have a little piece of me with you," Jade said. Then she moaned to herself and muttered, "Oh god, that's so corny. Sounded a lot better in my head."

Tori took the pendant out and held it up to the light. The reflections from the jade bounced around the room. Mesmerized by the jewel, Tori didn't hear the last. Just the part about having a little piece of Jade with her always.