Petunia Evans was expecting a quiet, peaceful morning as she sat down in the kitchen had had her morning tea. Her parents were in London helping her younger sister shop for her school supplies, something that Petunia absolutely refused to take any part in. And it was ultimately the sudden scream from upstairs, a break in the peace, that had Petunia on her feet completely forgetting the peaceful morning she'd had planned for herself, and her youngest sister.

"Rosie," Petunia called in alarm as she darted up the stairs and down the hallway to the youngest Evans' daughter's bedroom. "Rose please answer me!"

Petunia burst through the bedroom door and froze dead in her tracks. Toys of every color, size, and shape were floating around, almost as if they were being pulled around by invisible strings. And Rosie Evans was sitting stark straight in her bed watching the toys maneuver through the air with barely concealed horror on her round face.

"Tunia, what's happening?" Rosie nearly sobbed, clamoring out of bed and darting over to her oldest sister, wrapping her small arms around Petunia's knees as the toys all fell harshly to the ground behind her.

Petunia felt a surge of anger- and then fear- through her system, just for a moment before she forced herself to set it aside and gather her baby sister into her arms, soothing the young girl with gentle rocking motions and soft words.

"Everything is fine love," Petunia Evans hummed into Rose's long blonde curls as she rocked the two of them from one side to the other. "Everything is going to be fine."

Petunia wouldn't admit it to herself then, but she would never forgive her middle sister, Lily, for getting her Hogwarts letter. It wasn't just that she was jealous that her sister was a witch, and she wasn't- she was absolutely green. It was that her sister seemed to change as soon as she discovered she could do things no one else in their house could. Lily had always been close to her sisters, but as soon as she returned from her first year at Hogwarts it was like she had entered into a whole other world, and she had very little patience for the boring old muggles she had left behind in her old one.

And in those first moments when Petunia watched Rosie's toys float around the room, magically dancing through the air she was sure she was going to lose her other sister as well. And she was jealous again, because how was it fair that she was the only Evans sister who wasn't able to do magic. But Rosie was not their sister, and she didn't have any control over whether she could or could not do magic. She was too young to have any control over it. And by blaming her for something she had no control over, Petunia would only push her youngest sister away.

It was then and there, Rosie clinging to Petunia as if the oldest girl was the only thing keeping her rooted to the planet, that Petunia made a promise to herself. She would be there for Rosie no matter what. She would not lose another sister to the world of witches and wizards and madness.

*******

"Oh this is wonderful," Mrs. Evans cheered as she, her husband, and her middle daughter returned home after a long day of school shopping. "We have another witch in the family!"

Mr. Evans, their father, had a similar look of joy on his face. The Evans sisters' parents were wonderful as far as their three daughters were concerned. They had always been completely supportive of whatever it was the three of their children were doing and magic was no different. Rosie imagined that some muggle parents would be frightened of their magical children. There were of course stories going centuries back about how muggles tended to react poorly to witches and wizards.

So, she counted herself truly lucky that her parents were as kind and supportive as they were. Although Rosie couldn't get it out of her head that perhaps they were a little too enthusiastic about magic, in front of their one and only daughter who didn't have the ability. Rosie had always been a clever child, and she had always been able to see how hurt Petunia was that her younger sister was able to do magic and she wasn't.

"How about we all go out to ice cream," Mr. Evans suggested, pulling his baby girl into his arms for an excited cuddle. 

The five of them agreed, and together they all went out and celebrated the second Evans witch.

Author's Note

I was reading over the first draft and I realized just how much I had villainized Rosie and Petunia's parents, as well as Lily. I made it seem as if the parents were uncaring of their other two daughters, and as if Lily just ignored her sisters. Very un-cannon of me I know. So here is the revision, and I hope you all enjoyed the extra I added.