Chapter 3: It's Your Time to Grow

Eventually, the sun began its journey down in the west. Bruno stood and dusted off his clothes. "We'd better get moving if we want to watch the lamp lighting."

"Wait, you've changed your mind about going to the festival?"

His lips quirked. "Only if you'll go with me." He held out his hands to help me up. He didn't let go right away after I'd risen. Not until I'd bitten my lip and said, "Um, so ..."

We followed the deep, vibrating poom poom poom of drums until we reached the plaza, and arrived just in time for the lamps. The Delgado craftsmen had shaped them out of colored glass, so as they flickered, they sent a rainbow cascade across the quickly darkening plaza. The music was so loud, and the colors were so bright, and the heady smells of every kind of street food descended from all directions. It was all too much, but somehow, it was an exciting kind of "too much." For a while, at least, it would be fun. The only thing I didn't like was --

"It's so crowded," Bruno yelled, leaning his head toward me, though not turning to scream in my ear. He stuck out his elbow. "Here. So we don't get separated."

A little hesitantly, I took his arm. We accidentally made eye contact, and both quickly looked away. I didn't know why touching like this made me jumpy. We'd been friends for half our short lives. We'd made contact here and there this very afternoon. Well, whatever weirdness I felt about linking arms, I still felt more comfortable than I would have if I'd wandered around the crowd alone. I suspected Bruno felt the same.

We hadn't been at the festival long when I spotted Rita and Consuelo, two girls about my age who I hung around with sometimes. "Hey, chicas!" I called out, waving to them. They turned and looked at me. I didn't understand the expression on their faces. Instead of responding to me, they looked at each other, giggled, and took off running.

"That was weird."

"Hmm. Hey, you want some churros?" Bruno asked. "I think Señora Álvarez has guava-filled."

"Oh, guava's my favorite!"

"Yeah, I know."

"You know?"

"Yeah, you said so once. It was your birthday. Four years ago, I think?"

"Wow, you've got a good memory."

He shrugged.

Once we had our prize, we hovered around the edge of the plaza, where there were fewer people. The churros were extra sugary, warm and gooey, and every bit as delicious as we could have hoped.

Julieta happened to walk by. "Hey! I didn't know if I would see either of you here tonight."

"Kind of a last-minute decision," Bruno said.

"Wanna join us?"

"Sure! Oh, hey, you've got a little guava smeared on your cheek. No, over -- no ..." She tucked her own bag of churros into her elbow, and started to reach toward me with a napkin.

Suddenly I felt Bruno's slightly moist thumb on my face. "Got it!" he said happily.

"Um ... thanks?"

Julieta failed to hide her sputtering reaction in a sudden coughing fit. "Oof, guess that last one was a little dry. Anyway, there's about to be a show across the way. Do you two want to go watch?"

We did our best to worm our way into a good spot among those who had already gathered before the open stage. With Julieta on one side of me and Bruno again holding my arm on the other, I didn't feel quite as bothered about being penned in as I would have otherwise. I did my best to relax and enjoy the show.