Chapter Two: Cabin Nine

After we finished breakfast, Chiron dismissed the cabins to their activities. The Hephaestus campers raced to a steampunk like cabin. There were big steam shafts, a bank valt door, and that was just the outside! On the inside beds were folded up against the wall with interact combination locks that had blinking lights and moving gears. Campers unlocked their beds which folded down into bunks with hidden storage and built in shelving units. Beckendorf walked over to me, still standing in the door way.

"Come on, then," he said, walking over to and abandoned, folded up bunk, "this one's yours. Just say your name and set the combination." He clapped a hand on my shoulder, making my knees buckle. He walked to his own bunk.

I looked at the lights and gears at said, "Nyssa Stark," the bunk responded instantly. Lights flashed, gears turned, and a small panel popped up from the wall above the bed. I entered the combination I wanted. I twisted the first dial to 19, then punched 99 into the keypad. Last switched on a blue light that reminded me of my father's arc reactor. My real heart ached. Even if I didn't see him that often and he didn't really care about me, he was still my father.

"That's not a strong combination," someone said behind me. I whirled around to see a boy about my age with blue eyes and blond hair. "I'm Jake Mason," he held out his hand, "your new half-brother." I shook his hand, feeling very guilty that I was inside the wrong cabin. But then, Hephaestus had claimed me, in front of everyone. He really wanted me. I felt proud. But then Jake spoke up again.

"Hey," he waved his hand in front of my face, "you in there? I said that's not a strong combination, you should change it." I blinked at him.

"I'm not changing it," I said, "I like it." He shrugged.

"Whatever," he rolled his eyes, "we have an hour of free time before we have to archery. Have you seen the forges?" I shook my head. I hadn't. Jake smiled, "let's go then." I looked at my bed, and pressed a button on the panel built into the headboard that said, RETRACT. My bed folded into the wall.

I turned to Jake, who was waiting by the door. I ran to his side, "so, where are the forges?" He laughed.

"You think I would tell you so you can go running off without waiting?" He chuckled, "you can get rid of me that easy!" He started running.

"You're the worst big brother ever!" I told him, and jumped in his back. He stumbled a little before regaining his footing, "carry me!" I demanded.

"You're the worst little sister ever!" He mocked me in a high voice, while running to a building next to a little steam. It had those water wheel things, that generate power. It wasn't all that loud, but I could hear the steady CLUNCK BAM BANG of a single hammer.

"No one should be in this early," Jake frowned, letting me down off his back. He lead the way through the doors. There was one person inside. From the back of his head, he had black, scruffy, hair. He was big and strong. I couldn't see what was in front of him, but a hammer kept raising into view, so he was hitting something metal.

"Shane!" Jake called, the guy turned around. He had a slim face, and brown eyes. He was about 17, 4 years older than me. His skin was dark, unlike Jake's, which was pale, "this is our new little sister, Nyssa," he said, ruffling my hair and bandana. He said little sister in a baby voice, making it sound like wittle sister. I swatted his hand away.

"Nyssa Stark," I held out my hand to Shane. He cracked a grin and shook it.

"Shane Holland," his voice was gruff, and reminded me of Hephaestus's own voice. He withdrew his hand and went back to hammering. I could see what he was working on. It was a, wire? He pounded it flat, and placed it on his real piece. As far as I could tell, it was a box. I was about to ask what it was, but someone called from the forge doors.

"Jake, Shane, Nyssa!" Beckendorf called, "archery!"