iii.

"Cassiopeia," JJ's voice erupts throughout her ear canals.

She feels her body grow heavy, and immediately wants to sink deep into the floor. JJ noticed her limpness and his grip on her upper arms tightened substantially. He suddenly lifted her up and scaled his hands down her back, resting right on her hips.

"Are you alright?" His expression serious but quizzical.

She wiggled her backside out of his touch and sat down on her bed, trying to process why he was here.

"Why?" She blurted out, her eyes scanning up his body before resting amongst clear, ocean blue.

His lips slightly upturned, "I think it's obvious."

Cassiopeia scoffed, "Coming back to finish me off?"

JJ immediately frowned, "I told you to stop bringing that up."

She laughed coldly, "You really think I could forget you pointing a gun at me?"

JJ's eyes narrowed, "I don't think I need to repeat my reasons to you Cassiopeia."

"Right," She laughed again and fell back onto her bed, "Because at the end of the day it is perfectly acceptable to want to kill your best friend."

"Fuck Cassiopeia, will you just shut up?" JJ shouted suddenly.

Cassiopeia sat up on her forearms and studied the boy in front of her. He ran his fingers through his dirty blonde locks before grabbing the hem of his loosely fitted tank and wiphis forehead. Cassiopeia peered at his exposed skin, her eyes tracing the scars that littered his abdomen. JJ quickly noticed her gaze and pulled his shirt down.

He took a deep breath and gravitated towards the bed, plopping down next to her.

"Your mom called me, said you weren't doing well."

"Well that's a lie," Cassiopeia retorted, "I'm just fine."

"Stop lying," JJ hissed through gritted teeth, "You play me out to be a fool."

"I don't need nor want you in my life," Cassiopeia snapped, propelling herself off the bed.

JJ reached out and tugged on her wrist, making the girl fall against him.

Cassiopeia felt a rush of familiar heat engulf her body. She hadn't been this close to him in so long. His scent gravitated into her nose and skyrocketed her serotonin levels. The smell of sandalwood and ocean breeze captivated her logical senses. All she could picture was running on the sand once more, the salty air entangling in her hair. But when she pictured this, JJ was not the one by her side.

"Tell me," He interrupted her thoughts, his fingers tracing her wrist bone, "I know when you have something on your mind."

She remained silent but wrapped her arms around his neck.

"Is it him?" He breathed out quietly into her hair, "He's not coming back."

Cassiopeia felt her heartbeat quicken and wished JJ would change the subject.

"Even if he did come back, I would kill him."

A rush of heat filled her lungs. Suddenly she wanted to push herself off of him, but as she tried to wiggle away, he gripped the back of her neck.

"We don't have to be anything more," He mumbled in her ear, "But I worry about you, as a friend."

"Don't," She managed out and pushed him down on the bed. Her shirt had ridden up slightly, exposing her stomach. She quickly smoothed the fabric out.

"I'll take you to the airport," She said flatly, drifting towards her door.

He sat up on his arms, "I bought a one-way ticket."