Chapter 1

In ancient times, the land lay covered in forests, where, from ages long past, dwelt the spirits of the gods.

A young girl sat by an open flame, a small piece of wood clutched in her hands. A thin knife rested in the other, the blade pressed beneath a small knot in the wood, slowly making a mark in the otherwise blemished skin.

A howl drew the girl's attention away from her whittling and she turned her head to the forest before her, smiling softly at the familiar sound. Trees that stretched as far as the eye could see. Bushes, flowers, and moss that dotted the forest floor, concealing the brown dirt and soil beneath. And the morning mist that filled the gaps in the trees, bringing with it the scent of fresh water and a new day. She smiled and returned to her whittling, careful not to cut her thumb.

Suddenly, a wave of exhaustion swept over the girl. Her hands went slack on the wood and knife, nearly sending both to the ground as she slumped over. Thankfully, her sister was close and jumped over to her sister, catching her before her body hit the ground. She called for their mother but laid her down on the pile of leaves that acted as the bed for the two girls.

"Watch her," the mother said, leaving their room. There was nothing she could do for her daughter while she slumbered.

The elder sister nodded, taking a seat by her sister and watching as the fire danced on her skin. It wasn't usual for the younger to simply pass out, especially when they hadn't gone on an attack that day. Sometimes she would doze off after an intense battle with those of the Irontown, but it had been a calm day today. And the older sister was left to wonder what had caused her sister to black out.

* * *

Far from the home of the two girls, a young boy rode through the woods, his red serow bounding between the trees and onto a small dirt path that ran alongside an old stone wall. As they neared the stone, the boy rose from his saddle and hopped up onto the wall, walking along the ridge as he took in the surroundings. The words of the wise woman floated about in his mind like a plague. She hardly ever called everyone back to the village. What had she seen today that caused her to fear for those who strayed beyond the borders?

"Yakul," the boy said, calling to his faithful steed. His bare feet started to run towards a small wooden board that had been built. Yakul quickly scampered up the wood and slowed his pace for a moment, allowing the young boy to grab his horns and pull himself up onto the serow's back. The two sped off once more, now winding through a path in the hills that had been carved by the boy's ancestors.

As they ran, they came across a trio of young girls.

"Ashitaka," one of them called out, upon seeing her brother approaching.

"The wise woman wants everybody back to the village at once," Ashitaka said, pulling on Yakul's reins to halt the steed in his canter.

"We just came from Ji-san," one of the girls said.

"Ji-san?"

"Yes, in the forest. Something's wrong."

"The birds have gone," another one of the girls said.

"The animals too!"

Ashitaka glanced up the path that led to the watchtower where Ji-san sat, dutifully watching the border of the woods. "I'll go check with Ji-san. You three hurry back home." He flicked the reins and Yakul sped off up the path.

The tower where Ji-san sat soon came into view and Ashitaka glanced up to the top level. He couldn't see the straw-coloured hood of the man, and the red of his coat from the base of the tower, but Ashitaka knew that he was there. Ji-san never left his post.