TWENTY ONE

A/N: I just want to take a moment and really show my gratitude for all the love and support y'all give me and this story. It is actually quite embarrassing how excited I get when I log in and see that a new comment has been written. I sort of curl up into a ball, but while in a seated position? Just trust me, it is weird but completely born out of the absolute love that I have for all of you wonderful people. While I was writing this chapter I just kept thinking, "Wow, I can't believe we are already HERE and only have a bit more to go. The fact that some people have followed me since the early days of Daylight and stuck around through TWO wips with me, and that others have tortured themselves binging through it all and racing to catch up just completely stunsss me. You are all amazing, and we wouldn't be here if y'all hadn't been so wonderful to me and TBE. So thank you, from the bottom of my black little heart, thaaaaaaank youuuuuuu.

Beta'd by the one and only Bree who suffers so much having to deal with me and TBE and does it with minimal threats to my life. Thank you, my darling.

Soundtrack- "Kill Me (acoustic)" by Landon Tewers and "Half Alive" by Amber Run

TWENTY ONE

.

Hermione said goodnight to Harry and handed him back her beaded bag. Everything they had was packed up and ready for tomorrow so she had taken it into the bathroom with her when she showered and changed for the night. Hermione took her time, not knowing when she would get another hot shower. It was scary, thinking about going on the run again, but this time they were somewhat prepared.

And Draco was with her.

It wouldn't be as bad as last autumn. At least, that's what she told herself.

Hermione felt the heavy, silent tension at her back when she didn't turn around and tell Ron goodnight too. She wondered if he even cared. Or if he was relieved by her not talking to him. He was the one who didn't want to be friends anymore, the one who wanted to stop trying. It hurt, but she'd survived worse. Ron hadn't broken her heart, just bruised it a little.

Hermione pulled her robe tight around herself as she opened the door to her and Draco's bedroom. He was standing by the window, rubbing two fingers over Calix's head and whispering something in a low voice. Somehow, she felt like she was intruding and waited until he lifted his arm and the owl soared out through the window to go in any further.

She couldn't help but notice there was a letter tied to the owl's leg. Who was Draco writing to this late? Who did Draco even still... talk to?

Before setting Bellatrix's wand down next to Draco's in his holster, she locked the door and sealed the room with a silencing charm.

Draco sighed and ran his hand over his face. He scratched at the barely there stubble on his chin and Hermione watched his face fall back into stony stoicism.

"How-how are you?" Hermione cringed at her question. What was she doing?! Why was she nervous about this?

Draco glanced at her and the corner of his mouth twitched. "Me? Oh I'm fine. Except the Dark Lord has taken over my home, my mother is lost on some island no one can find, and I'm probably going to die tomorrow and be turned into an undead puppet to serve the man who killed my father for all eternity because he's apparently deathless, as you've all just told me today."

Hermione blinked. "Inferi are only enchanted while the wizard who made them is alive?"

"Fuck, I don't really know how it works." Draco threw his hands up. "There wasn't a q&a portion during my Death Eater initiation."