[ 014 ] the strange case of will byers

CHAPTER FOURTEENXIV

CHAPTER FOURTEEN
XIV. the strange case of will byers
[ season 2, episode 8 ]

"The Mind Flayer."

A book slammed onto the table was the official starting point to the party's crucial meeting. Something about a monster ─ bigger and more evil than the rest. Steph leaned forward, eyes scanning the informational pages spread out across the dining table, wedged between Dustin's fingertips.

Chief Jim Hopper had little patience for guessing games, and quickly demanded, "What the hell is that?"

"It's a monster from an unknown dimension." Dustin stated vaguely, laying out the facts as if they were common knowledge amongst everyone. "It's so ancient that it doesn't even know it's true home. It enslaves races of other dimensions by taking over their brains using highly-developed psionic powers."

"Oh, my God," Hopper groaned, an edge of irritation bleeding into his tone. "none of this is real. This is a kids' game."

"No, it's a manual. And it's not for kids." Dustin snapped in response. He raised his finger at the Chief, unfazed by the repercussions that may occur in the aftermath of speaking rudely to someone with a powerful, and frankly well esteemed, status in the Hawkins justice system. "And unless you know something that we don't, this is the best metaphor ──"

"Analogy." Lucas corrected.

"Analogy? That's what you're worried about?"

Steph raised her hand, using the one side of her body that wasn't crippled with pain, "All I'm worried about is defeating those things, and I'm sure everyone else can agree with me on that. So can we cut the bull and get on with it already?"

Eyes bulging in frustration, Dustin let out a low scoff, caving to defeat, "Fine. This is an analogy for understanding whatever the hell this is!"

"Okay, so this mind flamer thing ──" Nancy began, but was unceremoniously cut away from her branch of words by Dustin, who was practically seething at that point.

"Flayer. Mind Flayer."

Nancy merely sighed in exasperation, rushing to get to her point, "What does it want?"

"To conquer us, basically." Dustin informed. He was a lot calmer when speaking logistically, running through facts in his mind. "It believes it's the master race."