Book One: Water || Chapter Two: The Prince

Light shone through my eyelids before I had the chance to properly open them. Feeling the space around move in a rocking motion, I realized I was on a boat. The air smelled of ashes and burnt oil, with a hint of maple snuggled in between. Managing to open my eyes, a shot of pain coursed through my head and my chest, making me wince. I gritted my teeth together to try and stop the pain, until a voice spoke from the corner of the room. "Ah, you're awake. You gave us quite the scare, young lady." An old man walked into my line of sight, his hands held together over his belly under his sleeves. He had a white beard, which connected to a bun on his head of the same color.

I found it hard to speak, but I didn't want to be impolite to my saviors. "I-I... W-Where am I?" My voice was hoarse due to the cold air I inhaled for days, and my throat was dry. The man reached over to grab a deep spoon, moving to dip the wooden utensil in a pail of water. He then handed it to me to drink. "You are aboard Prince Zuko's Fire Nation vessel," he stated softly, "but you are safe here. May I know your name?" He helped me sit up without hurting my chest injury any longer, and I thanked him.

"My name is Yuna. I'm from the Southern Water-" I stopped myself from finishing. I wasn't supposed to go back anymore, no one wanted me there since the beginning. The man seemed to noticed the situation, flashing a smile at me. "I'm General Iroh, but just the name is fine. Your wounds aren't deep, which is good. You'll be your old self in no time." There was an awkward silence for a few minutes, before he said, "My nephew would like to speak with you. Come with me. Most likely he'll let you stay for your recovery."

I got up slowly, now accustomed to the uncomfortable pain in my chest. Passing by a mirror in the side of the room, a red tunic was placed over my Water Tribe trousers, giving my body more warmth and coverage. Following Iroh outside, we were met with the metallic hallway of the ship. Our feet made a thudding sound as we walked towards the front of the ship, stopping at a slightly bigger door than the rest. The man in front of me opened the door, peeking his head in and saying something I could only hear muffled by the metal door. He then turned, giving me a smile and gesturing me to walk inside after him.

The room was bigger than the one I had been in just a few minutes before, with tapestries and swords on the walls as ornaments. My eyes widened once seeing the Fire Nation's prince. He had been the boy with the scar who had saved me from the fall. I owed this man my life now, and my inner self was in a battle trying to come to terms with my loyalty. I gave him the best bow I could muster, entranced with his golden eyes as I did so. He never looked away from me. "My prince, thank you for saving my life. I am forever indebted to you." This line seemed to please him, as I caught a glimpse of his lip lightly moving upwards.

"Say your name and declare your business," his voice was loud and demanding, scaring me a little bit. I slightly looked over at Iroh, who gave a smile while nodding. He gave me a sense of security, and so I stated, "My name is Yuna. Three days ago, I was exiled from my Tribe, and now I'm trying to look for my parents. Please allow me to join your crew." I myself couldn't believe the last sentence that escaped my lips, but I said it without a single second thought. Finding my parents was my priority, but doing so would prove very difficult on my own. However, I had heard about prince Zuko before: the exiled prince, tasked with finding the avatar. He went from port to port all the time due to his task, and it was a perfect opportunity I couldn't pass by.

The scarred teen leaned forward from his desk chair, elbows on the table and hands under his chin. "I'll let you stay if you prove to be useful to me, and if only you swear your undying loyalty to me." I gulped, standing up straighter than I was, still looking at him in the eyes. He wanted me to prove my worth, so I planned to do just that. "I'm a waterbender," this caught his attention, shifting his gaze slightly, "I cooked and weaved back in the village, and being a native, I know my way around the area." The rest didn't phase him— perhaps he had no need for a cook, a weaver or a navigator.