five, underneath the stars

⚔︎

⚔︎

Zarina's eyes fluttered open, hearing the faint sound of birds chirping and heavy snoring. she noticed a warm feeling wrapped around her hand and spotted jacobs hand holding hers, his thumb resting on the back of her hand. she felt her ears grow hot when she tried to remove his grip from around her, but wouldnt let go. in defeat, she decided to switch her position, laying flat on her back. her eyes glanced over to where maisie was, and her head almost went 360 when she did a double take.

"Maisie?" Her rough voice called out. turning her head around, she proceeded to slip out of Jacob's grasp. Zarina gently slapped Jacob's face, saying, "Jacob, wake up! right now!"

"five more minutes, sunshine."

"maisie's gone!"

Immediately, the man's eyes shot wide open and he stood on his feet, pulling Zarina with him. "What are we waiting for, let's go!" Zarina grabbed the spear while Jacob held onto the filled sack on their way out. They ventured through the jungle, the sounds of unknown animals surrounding them. jacob spotted Maisie, cradling a blue creature in the middle of unhatched eggs. gods know what kind of monster it is. "What are you doing?" Jacob asked, annoyed that her disappearance had caused him and Zarina to wake up from their slumber.

"I, uh...I'm afraid anything I say will upset you." maisie mumbled, hiding her face behind the cute blue creature. Jacob sighed, "You're probably right. Just don't move." Handing Zarina the sack, he carefully walked over the shells.

"I'm sorry, but I've always wanted a pet." Maisie claimed. She clutched the blue creature close to her like a teddy bear. her big puppy dog eyes staring at zarina, pleading for her to be on her side for this one.

Zarina sighed, wearing a small smile as she pointed her spear at it. "Maisie, sweetie, I know that monster is cute, but it's still a monster. So, we can't keep it. besides, what if it already has a family? little guy needs to go back home." zarina reasoned, trying to not cave in as maisie proceeded to pout her lip.

Maisie cowered her face behind the little monster. "But I already named it." she was giving her best effort into keeping the little blue creature, but jacob was not having it.

Jacob stared at her, unamused. "Let me guess. Blue." Maisie groaned in defeat. "You name that one Red. You name this one blue. We stay much longer, and we'll have a rainbow of critters that wanna east us."

Maisie then extended her arms out, giving Jacob a closer look, "But he's so cute. Look at this face!" the blue creature stuck his tongue out and flapped it over his big eyes, causing the couple to share an odd look.

Jacob sighed, nudging his head towards Zarina behind him. "You and I, have a different idea of cute." Grabbing the monster by its head, Jacob chucked it over the trees. Zarina almost felt sorry for it. Jacob easily picked up Maisie, placing her on his shoulder, making his way back over to Zarina. "When we get to Guelston, I'll get you a cat, and you can name it Grey or White. Ginger, if you like."