Scary Stranger

Running across the country wasn’t easy, never was, but it was something Gary had grown accustomed to.
He had been approached by a few drug dealers before, the movie kind of ones, they’d see how he was on the brink of desperation and offer him large amounts of money

“We’ll give you 20% beforehand and the rest when you complete it” they’d say as if Gary knew how percentages worked.

The first time, he hadn’t realized it was a trap to drag the pigs towards him while they made the bigger delivery. Gary had been followed and jumped into a river to lose them… Later on he managed to sell the drugs himself and got to keep not only the ‘20%’ of the other deal but as well as the money from the drugs- his first purchase was one of those large cookies and he may or may have not tried to marry the owner because they were that good.

When Gary was approached as a drug mule once again, he had learned to use a gun but never taken a life before, still he agreed because maybe- just maybe- he’d be able to afford one of those fake hands for his missing limb… and pay for medical expenses too.

Funnily enough, Gary managed to escape not only from the cops but the druggers that were a little too upset with him actually getting to keep the large percentage of the deal they offered.

He quickly fled across the country into a guetto-ass looking neighborhood with rent that was suspiciously low until he learned of the history of his apartment.
Still, despite a new identity and being safe at last, Gary found himself with a huge problem…

Turning his gaze away from the door to the large cat-man who was staring at him with wide eyes and mouth (“me too man” Gary thought, unable to believe he was going to live in a crime scene himself) he lift his hand awkwardly, heart hammering with nervousness and fear as he greeted his new neighbor

“Yo”

Yo?
YO?!?!

Gripping his hair and leaning back against his door Gary groaned, face red with embarrassment because who even makes their first greeting “yo” to a complete stranger who- btw- will live next to you!!

It was evident, Gary sank to the dirty floor, his social skills were donezo.

——————

After a night of sleep on the smelly mattress, Gary could only be thankful to actually be sleeping somewhere that he could call his own for once.

He patiently awaited the moving truck to arrive before he noticed a lady carrying groceries in, seeming to struggle from the way she waddled up the stairs.

It’s your chance Gary, he encouraged himself as he took a few deep breaths

“Excuse- excuse me” he stuttered out awkwardly, clearing his throat when his voice cracked “do you need help?” he offered

“My, my!” the lady smiles, eyeing him up and down “what a gentleman!” she beamed and Gary felt his cheeks grow warm at the attention he was so very not used to.

“If it's not too much trouble, then please” she said at last and Gary nodded in reply, taking two of the three bags and biting his tongue when pain shot through his arm which wasn’t there- it was a fake arm but he had been having what he learnt was “phantom limb” or something and he hoped it’d soon go away.

When Gary had placed the bags in front of her door, getting a pat on the cheek and cookies (Cookies!) as a thank you, he left the container in his apartment, reminding himself to return it before he walked down the stairs just when the van pulled up.

“Here!” He waved as he rushed out before they drove away, greeting them with an awkward nod and “Thanks” as they opened the back and removed his things carelessly-