In order to succeed

Reaching into the quirk felt like purposefully drowning, except in a reservoir-no, ocean-of raw, unfiltered power, which filled Izuku with exhilaration. It may have burned, but not in the traditional way which left behind scars and smoke. It burned in a way that left skin tightened because of the buildup which prevented power that Izuku couldn't use from bubbling up.

Despite the tightening skin and the buildup of power in his muscles, Izuku felt excited to feel that tangibility, the actual proof that he had a quirk regardless of already knowing it existed when he broke most of his limbs because of it during the Entrance Exam.

He is quirkless Deku no longer.

The sooner he realized that, the sooner he'll be free of most of the insecurities that were holding him back...not really, but he could dream.

"Okay, now let's have you actually turn on your quirk, then dial it back to the lowest percentage that you can and see if you can hold it for at least 5 minutes." Aizawa-sensei instructed suddenly, almost making Izuku lose his concentration. Okay, I've already made contact with the core of One for All, now I just have to take that feeling and actually use this my (my!!!) quirk.

Izuku breathed out and pictured the egg and microwave scenario that he thought of before. He's the egg and One for All is the microwave, so to keep (himself) from exploding, he needs to dial back the wattage of the microwave (quirk). Then he actually turns on the quirk.

Pain.

Then it's gone, he opens his eyes to see Aizawa-sensei looking at him with red eyes and floating hair. Oh, I must've been about to break my arm again.

"Why are you only focusing your quirk on one part of your body? The last time you did that you almost broke your arm. I mean, All Might doesn't use your shared quirk only on one limb, does he?" When Aizawa-sensei finishes lecturing him, he immediately feels dumb. He should have totally figured that out already! If using his quirk on parts of his body hurt, then why didn't he just think of using it all over? Surely, it would've made more sense to- "No one was expecting you to get it all at once, Problem Child. You've never had a quirk before, so, of course, you wouldn't know how to activate one properly."

And now Izuku's tearing up, on the verge of crying a river. Aizawa's eyes widen as he frantically thinks of how to deal with a crying teenager. Of course, he's seen crying teenagers (he's expelled his last homeroom class after all), he's just never had to comfort one who hasn't been in a villain attack beforehand. He scans his surroundings for something that will help him keep Izuku from crying and sees that the boy is still surrounded by soft toys and cushions and quickly picks up one to hand it to him. It turns out that he's grabbed a stuffed rabbit which catches Izuku's attention and he takes it with a sort-of wet snort.

"Thank you." He mutters, running his fingers down the length of the stuffed animal in a self-soothing manner. The sniffles die down as Aizawa quietly sighs in relief, dealing with teenagers is bad enough, but crying teenagers? He'd rather just send them to another teacher. He figures that Izuku was thanking him for getting him the rabbit, so he waves it off.

"It's just a stuffed animal, don't worry about it."

"No, not just that! Thank you for helping me, most teachers don't...like me. You're a good person." Izuku beams sweetly up at the surprised teacher, teary-eyed. Aizawa winces at the heartfelt thanks, but a tiny bit of his cold dead heart warms up bit and then cools marginally. He just did the bare minimum of what a good teacher is supposed to do; how horrible were his students' past teachers to make him think that he was a good person?

"It's my job to help, kid. No thanks needed." Aizawa-sensei averts his eyes and clears his throat. Izuku wipes his face clear of tears, noticing his teacher's discomfort. "Now you try to activate your quirk one more time, properly, and we'll figure out the rest tomorrow."

Izuku nods his head rapidly, almost looking like a bobble head. Aizawa hides his chuckle by ducking into his capture weapon, but Izuku notices anyways. He!! made Eraserhead laugh! Him! This is the greatest day of his life!

Izuku quickly stops fanboying and begins to power on his(!!) quirk.

Instead of digging into the ocean of power, Izuku taps the surface, dragging a thin thread of power through his limbs, almost like a circuit and once that power settles with a low hum, he slowly adds more threads until it hurts and he loosens the threads a bit. The humming is louder almost turning into a buzzing and Izuku feels powerful.

He opens his eyes, noticing a glowing green light glitching and jerking as it surrounded him, almost as if it were lagging. Izuku peers up at Aizawa and the man nods at him slightly, subtly giving his approval and why does getting his approval make him happier than getting All Might's Izuku beams up at him while wiggling happily in place.

"Okay, how much power does that feel like?" Aizawa-sensei asks, pulling out a tablet from nowhere noticeable. Is that how people feel when I do that with my notebook?

"It feels a bit like 5%." Izuku realizes, breaking away from his distracting thoughts as he tries to keep his power leveled out. Aizawa-sensei nods and types something down on his tablet. All Might (Yagi) says that One for All grows stronger with each user, so I wonder how much power this 5% would deal out now versus the older generation? If only One for All could be given the multiple people at once.

"That would be a disaster waiting to happen. An overpowered quirk that could potentially power up quirks and the user, given to multiple people? Sounds like more trouble than it's worth." Aizawa-sensei deadpans as he puts the tablet away. Izuku blushes, embarrassed that he was muttering again. One for All powers down in his embarrassment and he quickly runs the power through his body again. Dang my big mouth.

"Your muttering is fine. You would probably have to work on either getting rid of that habit in the future or getting a mouth guard or something of the sort." Aizawa-sensei responds, making Izuku want to fidget with his hands, but he has One for All turned on and remembers not to do anything drastic. Maybe he should invest in a support-made fidget spinner in the future so that this problem won't happen again?

"O-oh, right." Izuku answers, nodding slightly. His muttering was a bad habit and if he was on a mission in the future, it could give away his position which would jeopardize the entire operation and possibly kill him-

"Stop overthinking, Problem Child." Aizawa-sensei says as he pulls the tablet out again, a timer that Izuku didn't know was on, going off before Aizawa-sensei turned it off. "Okay you can stop now. Remember to stretch before you go to sleep, so you don't cramp up."

Letting go of One for All, Izuku stands and nods at Aizawa-sensei, before bowing at him. "Thank you for helping me!"

"Like I said, it's my job to help, kid." Aizawa-sensei grumbles, putting his hands in his pocket while the tablet mysteriously disappears in thin air. Izuku straightens up, wringing his hands together as he watches Aizawa-sensei walk towards the door of the gym and then stop. Izuku tilts his head in confusion as Aizawa-sensei looks back at him. "Oh yeah, you won't have to deal with Bakugou Katsuki in the future."

Then he opens the door and walks away, leaving Izuku even more confused.

What?