Chapter 28: The Game

Anne's POV:

"Anne Fredrick, you are tasked to do community service and assist Doctor Bailey at the medical bay. You got your license, am I correct?" That was instructor Hendrick, looking down at me with dismay. 

I firmly nodded my head and grabbed the uniform from his grip without talking. I chose to stay on the down low today because it is the day that my impeccable escape plan will happen, although I still need to find a suitable apprentice, someone from the security.

A grin formed on my lips as I thought of someone who fits my standards exactly, now all I need to do is to do community service, also known as picking up garbage and keeping the halls sparkly clean.

I went back to my room to change my clothes. There was also a keycard attached to the uniform which made my escape plan much easier. I left the room but I can't stop thinking about how Angelie is doing right now. 

I released a sigh before using the keys to the room of cleaning supplies, I entered and locked the door behind me. I carefully brought out the device I stole from instructor Hendrick and dialed the number of my device, which I secretly stashed in Kalia's bag. I crossed my fingers hoping that someone will pick up but the other line remained silent. My shoulders fell heavily, but I will still try again later because it might be the crappy reception here.

"Fredrick! Come on!" A loud knock on the door made me go back to reality.

I rolled my eyes and picked up anything that looks convincing enough that I will do my job. Right, I have two jobs, sometimes it sucks being the only known ex-rookie who had her medical license at 15.

Hendrick gave me a watchful glare as I started to clean the floor. He gave me a nod before walking away with the typical clipboard in his grip. All the people in Section 1 knew that he only became the instructor because of his father's position, but at least he's not as cruel as his father.

 I was done on the first floor and I moved to the next when my eyes caught a familiar guy in a security uniform. I rested the cleaning supplies against the wall for a while and approached the guy.

"Edgar! Long time no see."

He turned around to look at me with a stoic face but it all changed when he saw me looking at him like he is our only chance to get out of here. He quickly looked at the cameras and shook his head.

I followed the camera he was looking at so I think him to the blind spot that Angelie took us before. 

"Anne?! Why are you here?"

I raised an eyebrow and looked at him with a smirk. "You're not aware, aren't you?"

He shook his head with a confused look. I decided to ignore his question and went straight to the favor I am going to ask him.

"So...I know that things got ugly back at Section 1-"

"Yeah, you ignored me and left me to wait for nothing." He scoffed.

I pursed my lips and nodded. "About that, I am really sorry. I was seeing someone new and then you got taken by the Council."

Edgar rolled his eyes. "Whatever, what is it you need from me?"

I am starting to regret my plan on involving Edgar in this but there are no other people I can really trust her. Edgar and I used to be Nightwatch and yeah...he confessed that he was catching feelings, but I wasn't. I was still figuring out myself at that time so I just went with the flow until he was taken to the Council to be reassigned, I remember being happy and sad at that time because I can finally stay up all night without Edgar flirting but also sad because he was also my first friend.

"I need you to help me and my friend escape."

Edgar started to laugh like a crazy person but my face remained serious, so he stopped and composed himself.

"That's...that's crazy, I am on the lower tier of security so I think I am not the best person for that."

"Your help won't be risky, Edgar. All you need to do is to deliver this letter to a woman named Angelie Groves."

He gasped at the mention of Angelie's name. "You mean the daughter of Director Groves?"

"Yeah. Look, I don't have all the time in the world, so please tell me if you're in or not."

Edgar thought about it for a minute before nodding his head and accepting the letter. I patted his shoulders as a thank you. I went back to cleaning the hallway and remained calm look. I glance at the cameras every now and then because, in a few hours, it's game time.