-Chapter 3: Home Sweet Home-

It was the end of the school day and the gang had split their separate ways. I walk outside to my bike when I hear the clattering of a skateboard nearby. Deciding to check it out, I walk over with my bike and spot Max, alone and skateboarding. Doing tricks here and there before spotting me and skating over. "Hey." She says. "Hey." I say back. "You stalking me too, now?" She asks, tilting her head and raising a brow. God, she looked so good in the sunlight. "Please, as if I'd want to stalk you." I tease, challenging her. "Is that so?" She asks. "So why're you here then?" She asks, placing her skateboard on the floor and skating around me. "Not sure, to be honest. I heard someone skateboarding and decided to check it out. But since it's just you, and you clearly don't want company, I'll be on my way." I say, smirking and turning around with my bike.

I hear the clatter of the skateboard before her voice. "Wait." She says, making me stop in my tracks and turn around. "Where do you live?" She asks. Well well well, someone's nosey. "Why? Are you stalking me now?" I ask, smiling. Max rolls her eyes and crosses her arms. "Ha. Ha. No, I was just curious." She adds with a shrug. "I live at 3298 Moore Street." I say as we begin to walk together. "Is it near Cherry Lane?" She asks, randomly. I think for a moment before nodding. "Yeah, It's on the way I think." I note. Max smiles a little and stops to turn to me.

"Well I live on Cherry Lane. 4819 Cherry Lane." She says. She then holds out her skateboard while I just look at her confused. What was this girl getting at? After a beat, she chuckles. "You want to go home together?" She asks. "What about your brother?" I ask, looking behind her at the tall figure leaning against a car. "Eh, I'll tell him to screw off." I shrug and smile. "Sure then." She continues to hold out her skateboard and I take it gingerly. "You're skateboarding home. I'm riding your bike." She says, smirking. "But I don't-" I start before she takes my bike and walks over to Billy. I follow after and catch the last bit of their conversation. "You could have told me earlier!" Billy speaks loudly. "Well I'm sorry! At least you get to go home by yourself without having a...how'd you put it? A stupid girl with you." Max says back, equally as loud. Billy rolls his eyes, spotting me and immediately plastering a smile.

"Hello. Are you Maxine's friend?" He asks, smiling. Although I could see an evil glint in his eye. "Uh, yeah. I'm Y/N." I say.  "Billy." he says, nodding. "See you at home, Max." He says before stepping on his cigarette and slamming his car door. He cranks the music insanely loud before his engine roars and he skids out of the parking lot. "God, I hate him sometimes." Max mutters. She turns to me and sighs. "You ready?" She asks. I look at my bike in her hands, then at the skateboard in mine. "Uhh, no. I don't know how to skate." I reply awkwardly.

Max laughs before turning to me. "Then it's a good thing we have the whole way to your place to learn." She gives me a quick crash course in the parking lot. Showing me how to stand, best way to balance and how to actually move on the skateboard. "Here, you try." She says, stepping off and pushing it over to me. I look at the board for a second before I look at her. She chuckles before walking beside me and placing my hand on her shoulder. "Use me as a balance." She says.

I nod and step onto the board and just stand on it for a while to get used to the balancing. Then, she told me to try moving as she stepped back. I did a light kick off with my foot, making the board move before wobbling insanely and almost toppling over. Max immediately held me up, keeping me on the board and not on the ground. Her hand was in mine while the other was on my waist, keeping me balanced.

I would be lying if I said her touch didn't make my stomach flip and my mind go blank. She used her support to help guide me around the parking lot before I was able to move on my own. "Great! Let's go then?" She asks, tilting her head. I nod and she mounts my bike before we start going.

It is calm as I roll down the path on Max's skateboard and she casually rides beside me on my bike. It's a good 10 to 15 minute ride, so I decide to break the silence. "How's Hawkins so far?" I ask, making sure I don't fall while speaking. Max shrugs, looking down slightly. "Alright? I guess. I mean, it's very different from California. But I guess it isn't the worst. The people need some work though." She says, smirking at looking at me. "Har har. Very funny." I say, rolling my eyes. "Actually, no. You're alright. But the stalkers? Ermmmm." She says, shaking her head slightly. "Needs some work." She says.

I laugh out loud as she watches me from the bike. "What about you? You from Hawkins? Or...." She asks. "I was actually born in Miami, Florida, if you'll believe it." I say. "What? Really?" She asks, shock evident in her voice. "Yup. But we moved here when I was like, 2, so I barely remember anything about it." I shrug. We turn onto my street and pass by familiar houses. "So, why'd you move to Hawkins?" I ask. Max is silent for a while, just the sound of the wind rustling the trees and the wheels rolling on the pavement filling the air. "Max?" I ask.

I look over at the redhead and she's just staring ahead. "You don't have to answer if you don't want to. We did basically just meet after all and I-" "No it's fine." She says. "We moved here, mainly because of my parents. Or...my mom and stepdad. My dad still lives in California and my Mom and Stepdad decided to move back here to...mostly get away from him." She says. "Your parents aren't together then." I say, mainly to myself. Max nods slowly. "So does that make Billy-" "My Stepbrother, yeah. His mom left them too...and I think he is angry. Very angry about it." Max says as we arrive at my house. We stop and I turn to face her. "So...he takes his anger out on you...?" I suggest to her. She thinks for a moment before shrugging. "Maybe. I've never really known him in any other way, to be honest." She notes.

We stand there for a bit before I pick up her skateboard and walk to hand it to her. She looks at it and shakes her head. "Your bike is comfy, and you need practice. Keep it for today, return it to me tomorrow." Max says, smiling. "Alright." I say. "We should do this more often." She says. "Going home together." She adds. "I'd like nothing more." She looks as if she wants to say or do more, standing awkwardly next to the bike before she surges forward and hugs me. I hug her back, happiness growing in my chest as she pulls away. "See you later!" She says, referring to trick or treating. She rides down the road, out of view as I pick up the board and walk up to the door. I felt like I had seen a side of Max that not many get to see. It was a nice feeling, and I wanted more.

Word Count: 1312