Chapter 10: The Change

Vella stood in her place, frozen as a statue, staring with wide eyes at the girl she'd raised. She was here, in front of her! Her baby! She looked so mature with her brown hair grown long and tied up into thick braids that tightened into a bun along her head. Tan skin contrasting against the dark greens and grays of her outfit. She just looked so grown up, holding herself with poise and confidence.

Joy bubbled into Vella's throat as she smiled and tears stung the backs of her eyes. "Lara," she gasped.

"This is Lara?" Mando asked, turning to Vella.

She tried to swallow the lump stopping the words from leaving her throat. Her head nodded pathetically, unable to manage anything more than that.

"Fine, she can come, but we have to get moving," Din said as he started forward, guiding Vella out the door. She was so shocked, she was practically dazed, going wherever he led her.

"Mum," Lara said as she followed, "who is this?" She gestured to the Mandalorian, then looked down at the small child in her mother's arms and looked back to her. "And who's this!"

Din glanced at her through his visor, she looked like the spitting image of her mom, even their accents were the same. She fashioned her outfit and armor similarly but darker, with the addition of a green leather jacket with the bright orange rebel insignia on the arm. Her hair was done up like how Vella had done hers on the job when she looked like an elite.

He let a sigh scratch through his vocoder. "Your... mother... hired me to protect her," he explained as they walked through the stiff snow towards the speeders. He didn't really know why it was so strange for him to say, but it gave him pause nonetheless.

"I have so many questions," the girl muttered, putting her fingers to her temples.

Vella pulled away from Mando and rested her hand on her daughter's shoulder. "Lara, love, I'm sure you do, but we've got to go first. Then we can find somewhere to talk privately."

"Look, Mum, I'd love that but—"

"Who are your friends, Lara," someone asked from behind them.

Instantly Din was on alert, blaster in hand, putting Vella and her daughter behind him.

"Oh!" The voice sang. "A Mandalorian!"

Vella saw the tan tone of her daughter's face turn red as she clenched her jaw. It'd been a long time since she had seen her so angry. She leaned forward to peek around Mando and stare at the woman that prompted her daughter's rage.

A human with dark skin and deep red hair that was cut short and curled in thin ringlets at her shoulders. The clothing she wore made Vella think she was some sort of smuggler, perhaps from Corellia, the accent on her tone only furthered the thought.

As much as appearances did, a Jedi's senses did much more. Vella could tell this woman was angry, far more angry than she looked. Whatever she had against Lara was serious and beyond anything Vella knew of.

Her attention was stolen by the baby who cooed and reached a clawed hand towards his fathers back. Vella bounced him softly and tutted, trying to calm him. She could feel him beginning to be affected by the anger and aggression in the air and Vella couldn't let him get lost in it.

Lara's eyes lingered on her mother as she interacted with the child. It made her almost sick with uncertainty. She'd never thought after all these years, she'd see her mom with a man, and certainly never with a child! But she reminded herself that it had been a long time since they'd seen each other, her mother had changed quite a lot.

And so had she.

"Mando!!"

Vella whirled around and saw the Trandoshan stomping towards them. He looked angry as he clutched his blasters that were aimed at them. His crew wasn't far behind and they looked just as ready for a battle. She sighed. "Who isn't after us today!" Vella muttered bitterly, patting the child's back. He'd started to whine and cry, the tension getting stronger.