iv. mission detoured

☟ "Mae, I- I need your help!"

"Mae, I- I need your help!"

Kenji called to Mae who had her eyes on the paper in front of her, continuing her study on the cube found in the dinosaur's food.

The kids were getting used to calling her Mae instead of Dr Turner now, it was quite the mouthful to repeat.

"Yes?" Mae replied, "Does a full house beat four of a kind?" Kenji asked with cards in his hands, the kids were all sitting around the table playing poker with one another.

"Uh-uh. Sorry, Kenj. Not today, not ever." Mae said while shaking her head,

"Aw, man!" Kenji called as he slapped his cards, facing down on the table before slouching into the couch.

"Boom!" Darius called next as the laid his cards down on the table, having four kings and a seven his gaze moved to Yasmina as he raised his brows with a smirk, the girl eagerly looking at him before Mae called out again,

"Don't mean to interrupt all the fun, but if anyone wants to round up some chestnuts from the forest, I make a pretty mean soup," Mae said as she swayed her pencil around,

"I'll go." Yasmina said while she stood, "It's getting kinda boring beating these guys." Yasmina placed her cards down on the table revealing her four ace cards resulting in beating them all as they all made grumpy noises at their loss, Yasmina began to exit the cave and it was back to another round of cards which kept them entertained for ages, eventually, Yasmina returned and Mae decided to take a break from her studies and cook the chestnuts soup.

Soon night came and the kids had all finished the soup that Mae cooked up for them, Mae suggested that they should get some rest and immediately the kids all passed out on either the couch or the floor, they didn't mind as they were able to sleep and rest without being startled awake by a dinosaur or a sabertoothed tiger all over again.

As the morning arose, they all woke up and gathered to Mae when Mae called them over to explain what she found in her research that night from the so-called 'sugar cube' by Kenji, Camille could see the tiredness plastered beneath Yasminas eyes as she question it in the back of her mind in seeing they were all asleep, at least she thought.