Chapter 16: Free Will

Nala Se bowed in submission, immediately preparing to obey yet still continuing to warn Alanja. "Removing the chip is fraught with danger, Miss Rampart. There is still time to reconsider."

Alanja did not relent. This was a risk that she had to take. Crosshair had to have a clear mind. Right now, even without the surgery to remove the chip, Crosshair might die. If the chip did not come out now, when would there ever be a better chance? The short answer was that there would likely never be a time to do it beyond this deadly moment. If he lived and his chip remained, he would never submit to have it removed so long as the Kaminoans had the power to enforce their will upon him.

For her part, Nala Se performed the task with less resistance than Alanja expected. After she completed the removal, the Kaminoan stood quietly over Crosshair as he remained in his induced coma. Alanja watched the gentleness of Nala Se as she pulled Crosshair's blanket a little higher. It was almost motherly.

"You made it, friend," Alanja whispered to Crosshair when Nala Se let her come back near him.

"Do we have a deal, Miss Rampart?" asked Nala Se. When Alanja looked up in confusion, Nala Se said, "I have done your will. Remember my kindness when things change for my people."

Alanja nodded. "It will be done." When Nala Se nodded in submission, Alanja suddenly realized that Nala Se was not as naive as she had believed. The Kaminoan was afraid for the future, and well, she should be. The power of Kamino could rival the newly formed Galactic Empire by burning it out from within with their control over the clones. The 'end' of the war was proof of their ability to overthrow the tyranny of the Jedi Order. What would stop them from doing the same again when they were ready?

"Nala Se," Alanja called the Kaminoan as she turned to leave. "Thank you."

Nala Se gave a slight nod and left them.

Alanja leaned over Crosshair. He was now free. Tears streamed down her cheeks as she smiled, pressing a kiss to that single, unburned place on his forehead. "Rest now," she said, gently stroking his chin.

Dark thoughts raced through Alanja's mind. She would have to remain at his side day and night. Though she believed the chance was slim, if the Kaminoans discovered what Nala Se had done, they might come to kill Crosshair in his sleep, believing he was too dangerous without his inhibitor chip controlling him. They were not wrong. He was the most dangerous of their creations, and Crosshair was loyal to Alanja, not them. She was sure of it. Even with the mind control of the chip, he had played the Ballad of Mandalore in the training room for her. He had killed Marjin to protect her and Rov.

Perching on the edge of the bed, Alanja rested her head beside his shoulder. "I will make sure nothing happens to you."

As the days of his sleep drew on, Alanja remained with him, curled up at his side, never leaving him for more than a few minutes at a time, especially when any Kaminoan was near.

Rov came once, too. He did not take well to her when she informed him she would not be leaving Crosshair's side. "They'll kill him if they find out what I've done. We have to keep this to ourselves."

His arms crossed, Rov's chin fell to his chest with a deep sigh. "Dear sister."

Sitting up from where she had been curled up beside Crosshair, Alanja pleaded. "Rov."

His countenance oscillating between an older brother and admiral, Rov said, "You are convinced Nala Se will keep her end of your agreement?"

"Yes. She will say nothing. What she has done is treasonous on Kamino." Alanja glanced at Crosshair, his chest rising and falling as air was mechanically forced into his lungs. Did she really believe that? Was Nala Se trustworthy? No. Nala Se was a traitor, bartering for her own safety.