ix. library talks

While rain was hitting the window in the Hufflepuff common room, Cassie sat in silence, enjoying the sound of drops hitting the glass while the feather in hand scratched the parchment in front of her. Her left hand was playing softly with the blue stone around her neck as she mumbled the needed ingredients for a potion.

"What's up with the new necklace?" Cassie raised her finger to signal her brother to wait for her to finish reading the list of ingredients. Once she mumbled the last word and wrote it down she put her feather aside and looked up with a smile.

"It's from the girls in Australia. Their package arrived a few days before Halloween."

Noah nodded and his hand found a free chair, pushing it closer to the workplace his sister had chosen.

"How are they?"

Cassie looked around carefully. A group of four was talking quietly among themselves at the other side of the room and a pair of students was playing chess at one of the windows. Otherwise, the room was empty. She wasn't taking the risk of people overhearing their conversation so she carefully moved a little closer, lowering her voice.

"The full moon is affecting them, too. The first one got Emma and her siren-self blew up her fathers celebration. The second one got Cleo to sing like the old sirens and enchanting men. Luckily, no one got hurt." Noah nodded along, a sympathetic look on his face. Cassie however wasn't finished. "The most interesting thing though is; it seems like it all happened before."

Noah's eyebrows furrowed together and he looked at her expectingly.

"They met this old woman and she let it be known to them that she knows about it all. She had two friends and they turned in the very same place as us."

"That means it all happened before!" Noah said excitingly.

"Yes. The weirdest thing is yet to come. In her youth, the woman and her friends met another mermaid. Apparently, she had turned in Ireland and she used to hide in the sea because people found out about her." Cassie's fingers softly played with her necklace again. "It's also where I got this from," she went on. "The mermaid had given it to the woman and her friends. And she gave it to Cleo, Emma and Rikki now, saying they would know what to do with it. It's like she knew we are four."

Noah had a hard time getting all the new informations sorted out in his head and he softly rubbed his face before taking a deep breath.

"You get what this means, right? It did happen before and," Cassie's voice got gloomier and her voice softly broke as she continued, "that in two places that couldn't be further from each other."

Noah immediately knew what her choice of words was ment to say. She was here, in Great Britain, while her friends, whom she shared such a special connection with, were at the other side of the world. He reached out his hand to grasp her own and gave it a light squeeze.

"Hey," she looked up, meeting his eyes and his soft smile, "I bet they miss you just as much as you miss them. This," he stopped a second to find the right words, "....this mermaid thing, it will always be a connection between the four of you, even if you're on the other side of the earth." Cassie smiled at his comforting words and squeezed his hand back. "I promise you, you'll see them again."

She took a deep breath and took her hand away from him, rubbing her face. An idea crossed her mind and she looked back at Noah with a mischievous look on her face.

"So, it all happened before, right?," Noah frowned at the sudden change of her attitude and he carefully nodded. "but we haven't found a single information about it."

"Maybe no one knew about them back then."

"No," Cassie said, "they said the mermaid the woman had met was hiding because people found out. There must be some kind of record."