ONE: Kenji

Every day at the University of Maple Ridge, the bell rings.

The bell rings every day at 8:00am and 3:30pm.

Five minutes later at 8:05 and/or 3:35, the bell rings again.

If you miss the first bell and are a little over, it's okay.

But if you miss that second bell?

It's a no-go for you.

And what I say?

Run.

Cause Principal Harris don't show no mercy.

~~~~~~

Today (a sunny Thursday, that is) at 3:30 pm, the bell rings.

I jump out of my desk, stuff my papers in my bag, and run out the door of the history classroom.

"No running in the hallways, Mr. Kon!" Mr. Derris yells behind me.

I don't listen to him, of course.

When I reach Mx. Abhram's classroom, I come to a halt.

The door is being held open by a stopper, however. 

I can see only one more student left inside, and that's my fiancé Brooklynn.

She finishes putting her stuff into her bookbag - emphasis on putting, not throwing, like I do - and zips it up.

"Brooklynn?" Mx. Abhram says, looking up from the papers on their desk. "If I could have a word?"

"Yeah, of course." Brooklynn sees me through the door as she makes her way up to Mx. Abhram's desk, and puts her hand up briefly, acknowledging that I'm there.

I wave back, then point my thumb in the direction behind me, signaling that we have to get out of here.

Brooklynn nods.

Mx. Abhram raises their eyebrows, leaning forward and peering through the top of their minuscule wireframe glasses. "Oh, hello, Kenji. We'll just be a minute."

Mx. Abhram may be the only teacher in the school who uses first names.

I nod quickly, my cheeks reddening, embarrassed as I turn away.

And although Mx. Abhram keeps their voice low, I can still hear them from outside the classroom doorway.

"Brooklynn, I know you're usually very well focused during class, correct?"

Brooklynn nods.

"You've been noticeably quite far-off lately. Is there something troubling you?"

Brooklynn shakes her head. "No."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes," she says, a little too quickly, nodding again.

"Alright. Run along, then. But, Brooklynn? You can talk to me."

Another short nod. "Thank you."

And she heads towards the door.

"Hey!" I say. "We've gotta run."

Brooklynn nods, swiftly. "I know. Let's go."

We take off towards the front doors, and I decide not to mention what I just witnessed happen in there.

Brooklynn doesn't either.

When we reach the massive, oak wood front doors with the giant stained glass windows (yes, oak wood, not maple, even though this place is literally called Maple Ridge) we push them open, stepping out into the blinding sunlight.

We only get a few steps along the path, when I almost get knocked over by someone as they ram into me from behind.