CHAPTER 12

CHAPTER 12

The ride to the border of Talares Nation only took half a day. Uncle's personal knight, Sir Reynolds, told us that we would normally reach the border after a day or two since it was located farther from the capital. But since we used magic to enhance the ability of the horses and carriages, it took us faster.

The only uncomfortable thing I'm experiencing right now is the fact that we've been sitting for more than two hours already. For an active person like me, sitting can be crucial even if the seats were bestowed with magic for a very comfortable travel. I'm really not used to sitting alone, I mean, I need to lie down, stand up or walk around for an hour, or my whole body will tense up.

This isn't my real body, and I shouldn't experience this, right? So why?!

Uncle must've noticed the uncomfortable feeling screaming from my eyes that he opened the window on his side and ordered his personal knight to find a safe place where we can rest.

"Worry not, we'll take a break once Reynolds find a safe spot for us to rest." He sounded so assuring. How did he know that? Was the old Henrietta like this too? I watched him silently. He was seating in front of me and beside him was Hendrix while on my side is Arthur. I may look too obvious that I'm staring at uncle, but he paid me no mind.

Our carriage eventually stopped and Sir Reynolds announced outside that we can take a rest for an hour. They're like boy scouts because of how prepared they were. They even built a mini tent for us to comfortably rest.

Ah, being rich can be so comforting at times.

I heaved a soft sigh as I lie down on the makeshift bed placed inside the tent. My knights stood outside of the tent to guard me. This should cure my muscle cramps. I'm slowly feeling dizzy, yet I could feel like I'm missing something. I wonder what it is.

I tried thinking about it, but my mind slowly gave up and I ended up falling asleep.

"You're not forgetting anything. I really intended for you to not remember me until I've finished my task."

Eh? What was that gentle voice? This voice sounds familiar.

"But it seems that I've wander around too much that I ended up coming back later than I thought. Though luckily, I wasn't too late to stop that pest."

What are you talking about? Am I just hearing his voice? I'm asleep, yet my consciousness feels awake.

"You might wake up soon, but I personally think that you should rest more. Go ahead, I'll be here to protect you."

I unconsciously frowned and a soft disgruntled sigh escaped my lips. Then I heard the man chuckle and the last thing I could remember was the feeling of his gentle hand caressing my hair.

─── 𖥸 ───

[ THE NEXT DAY ]

I woke up in an unfamiliar room with no one beside me. It was weird, weird enough to worry me. Where am I? Where's my uncle and cousins? Even my maids or knights are nowhere to be found. I was just resting inside that mini tent then I heard a voice then the next thing that happened was me waking up in an unfamiliar place.

Ah, right! That voice!

I flinched when I heard that familiar hiss beside me. I almost wanted to squeeze him when I saw Violet watching me with his light purple eyes.

"How did you end up here? Did I bring you with me? Ah... I can't remember." I asked, reaching out to him with my hand.

He gently crawls from my hand and wrapped himself around my arm. I somehow felt at ease, but the lack of familiar persons inside this room is somewhat making me anxious. And it's making my head throb!

"I wonder where my uncle and my cousins are," I mumbled softly then got out of bed.

I was still trying to recall that voice. That familiar and gentle voice. I swear I heard that before.

"Henrietta!"

I jumped in surprise when the door flew open and an injured Arthur came rushing to me. Despite the bandages he had wrapped around his chest and arm, he quickly hugged me. I felt lost at the moment that I couldn't think of a possible reason behind his injuries.

"Brother... what happened to you?" I asked worriedly.

He pulled away then gave me a gentle pat on the head. "I shouldn't be the one telling you this. Father will visit you after his meeting and then we will talk about it," he answered. Looking up to him, I could notice that relieved and worried expression filling his eyes as he observes me.

I wonder what happened...

I didn't ask him any more questions and offered for him to rest instead. He refused though, saying that he needs to change his clothes soon because of a meeting with Prince Rowan and Talares Nation's knights. I only smiled at him in response.

He didn't say anything regarding what happened, but I should feel at ease knowing that we've arrived at our destination.

"Violet, you seem different today. Why are you behaving so silently, hmm?" I know he won't answer. I just want to talk with someone.

I placed Violet back on my bed then I went to the bathroom to take a quick bath. I should also change and find uncle. I have to know what happened for this anxiousness to subside.

─── 𖥸 ───

"Your highness, you're awake!" Sir Shotaro exclaimed when he saw me walking outside of my room. I was planning on finding my uncle, so I dressed up and hid Violet inside the laced ribbon hugging my dress.

Like Arthur, I can see some bandages around his arm. I know he won't tell me anything either, so I should get going and find uncle instead. Or Hendrix.

"Do you know where my uncle is?"

He looked reluctant. Does no one plan to tell me what's happening? This heavy feeling is starting to pile up.

"If you won't tell me, then I guess I'll have to find him alone. I'll get going now." I may sound upset, but I swear I'm only feeling confused and troubled. I also can't remember anything other than that voice.

Sir Shotaro didn't seem against me finding my uncle, maybe that's the reason he let me walk around. Or maybe he's positive that I won't find uncle? Tsk.

"I'm also a prince, so why can't I come inside my brother's office?!"

"But your highness... You can't just barge inside. His majesty has very important guests, and they're discussing a very important matter."

I halt and watched a servant and a small kid arguing. The servants looked worried and scared as they try to calm the prince. He looked like that little prince, Prince Ruffio, from Talares Nation. I read about him from that noble book.

"Important guest? Do you mean the Grand Duke? Or that mysterious looking mage?" Prince Ruffio asked.

Either of those two, both of them sounded important. Why is he even asking that? Besides that, uncle must be inside that room and I can't wait any longer either.

"Your highness Princess Henrietta!" Oh, they know me.

"Is the Grand Duke inside?" I asked, and a frown formed on my forehead when the servants flinched.

This won't do. Based on their terrified reactions, they won't let me inside as well. I will have to walk past them. Right. Don't hurt anyone.

"Don't try to stop me, or I'll break anyone's hand," I warned them before making my way towards the door.

Prince Ruffio seemed offended that he started shouting as he followed me, trying to get my attention by screaming how arrogant I was. He should look at a mirror or something. But the servants stopped him before he can catch up with me.

Everyone seemed serious as they banter about something when I forcefully opened the door. I could hear them gasping at my sudden appearance, but I tried to ignore that. This is rude, I know, but I can't stay still and wait any longer.

"I wish to speak with his grace the Grand Duke." Generally, I am in no position to speak like this, but just this once, I'm mentally using Henrietta's Crown Princess title to command them.

"We'll have to continue our discussion some other time. Please leave us for now." Aurelius ordered. He's here. I thought Rowan would be here instead of him. So this cute little one's pretty reliable, huh?

The nobles bowed their heads before leaving the room and only uncle, Aurelius, the Marquess, and a mysterious looking man were left. Shouldn't he be going as well?

Anyway, my business.

"We apologize for not entertaining you after you woke up, your highness. We were in the middle of a political disaster that we had to busy ourselves in this meeting. However, her highness can rest assured now." By the tone of Aurelius' voice, he sounded like he's mocking me or something. Did I even do something wrong to deserve that kind of tone?

How foolish. I'm taking back that cute compliment.

"Entertain you say. Do I look like a child to you, Prince Aurelius?" I don't like using such a rude tone, but he leaves me no choice. Besides, he's not the reason why I'm here. "I would like for his grace to tell me in detail what happened while we were resting yesterday," I requested as I walked towards them.

Uncle, who looked really anxious, let out a heavy sigh. This isn't like him. He looked too anxious and stressed that everything's looking too obvious on his face. What happened?

I took the seat beside him and held on to his hand. I couldn't stop worrying even more that I get to witness how shaken he must have felt. Maybe it was out of anger, but looking at him, he looked terribly scared of something.

"There was an attack It happened when you were resting inside the tent then a couple of men wearing black cloaks attacked us." He started, squeezing my hand. Then he told me what happened yesterday, how they've manage to take down those mysterious men. But a dark sorcerer appeared and tried to harm me. That was when they have lost their composures.

Most of the knights were injured, but the most severe ones were Keita's and Hendrix's. Uncle said that those two were the ones who tried running towards the tent then the dark sorcerer attacked them with his black flames.

I didn't know how I managed to absorb everything he told me, from those cloaked men to that dark sorcerer. It seems surreal, but what can possibly be unreal in this magical world?

So Keita and Hendrix are badly hurt because of me. Uncle said that they both hadn't woken up since yesterday.

Hold on... If that was the case, then how did we manage to reach the Royal Palace?

I was about to ask something when uncle pointed at the mysterious man in front of him. "We're lucky enough that the imperial mage appeared and helped us."

"Imperial mage?" I asked as I turned to look at him.

He smiled and waved at me. He looked happy but his silver eyes looked oddly pleased.

"It's an honor to finally meet you, your highness," he said as he stood up to bow politely at us, his crimson red hair falling smoothly down to his forehead. He looked pretty, and his voice sounded familiar. Very familiar. "I am a descendant of Seymour the previous mage of the Imperial Palace. My name is Astreaus Valorian, the new master of the Arcadian Tower."

At a first meeting like this with a very powerful creature should end up with a cool remark, but to my disappointment, I only ended up embarrassing myself by stating unnecessary things.

"You look pretty."

How did I manage to distract myself in a matter of seconds? I wish to bury myself right at this moment.